Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:34 AM   #1

1. Canon 'claims' that their lens electronically work with the camera to produce a much better image than other branded lens (sigma ect).

can anyone verify this, or is it just marketing for their lens.

2. Will a faster CF card in something like a 300d,350d or 20d affect the quality of an image (due to shutter lag) or is that dependant on the buffer.

3. Why buy a 20d for alot more than the new 350d when they are both so similar? is there any real difference?

thanks
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:28 AM   #2

twofruitz wrote:
Quote:
1. Canon 'claims' that their lens electronically work with the camera to produce a much better image than other branded lens (sigma ect).
Can't help on this one - I'll leave this to some of our more technically knowledgable folks.
Quote:
2. Will a faster CF card in something like a 300d,350d or 20d affect the quality of an image (due to shutter lag) or is that dependant on the buffer.
No it should not affect image quality at all as the camera is writing from the buffer. It will affect how fast the buffer clears which in turn will affect how much pause there is between 'bursts'

Quote:
3. Why buy a 20d for alot more than the new 350d when they are both so similar? is there any real difference?
The 20d has several advantages that appeal to wildlife/sports photographers: It has a better burst rate and a larger buffer which means more pictures faster. It also has an improved autofocus capabilities (especially when using center focus point and a 2.8 or faster lense). Beyond those features, there is a durability issue - metal vs plastic. Another factor is the size of the 350d - some people view it's small size as a positive, some as a negative - it's a personal opinion. Finally there are ergonomics of the controls - having a larger body and costing more allows the 20d to have more control options on the body. But, in a way, you are right - there is not nearly the difference between the 20 and 350 that there was between the 20 and 300.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 4:04 PM   #3

Just a guess here. I believe is about how Canon doesn't license its lens mount to anyone. So Sigma has to reverse engineer it. But I think their claim is FUD... many Sigma lenses have been used to take great pictures. There is no "inherent" difference in the quality of the picture taken just because the lens is made by someone other than Canon.

I think they are claming this because the quality of 3rd party lenses has improved greatly over the last several years and they are feeling the pinch.

I Agree with JohnG. Other than allowing you to get the picture when you otherwise wouldn't, it doesn't effect quality.

I Agree with JohnG, but I thought I'd add that there are some other differences. Personally, I would hate the "one wheel and toggle its meaning with a button" interface that all the DRebels have. I also don't remember if the DRebel has exposure compensation. I use that often and would not want to work without it.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:28 PM   #4

On item #1, the Canon electronics can make a difference in focus speed and possibly supplies info for better flash automation but it has nothing to do with image quality. The higher level Sigma lenses are very close to Canon's best at a fraction of the price. Also the pro series Canon lenses are constructed for extreme conditions, overengineered for most of us.

On item #2, the previous posts are correct, faster cards effect burst rates, review times, transfer rates and between shot time but do not have any impact on shutter lag.

On item #3, not much to add, the 20D is aimed at the budget professional market, offering a metal body with most of the durability and flexibilityof the high end EOS models. The 350D offers most of the performance in a lightweight plastic body with a smaller, lower capacity battery. An excellent amateur camera, or a backup to a 20D in a pros kit. This is an excellent camera for those of us who do not make a living from photography but occasionally sell some work or do a wedding shoot for a friend.

Just my opinion, both are excellent cameras.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote