Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2002, 12:21 PM   #1

Default when would you rather shoot film than digital?

following jsmeeker's great thread lead:...
personaly, i found the following situations where a film camera still rules:
1.when the temperature gets lower than 30 degrees celsius
(0 farenheit), out comes my fully mechanical nikon F2. No batteries, no servos no autofocusing. My seconic light meter in my pocket only needs to come out for brief exposure checks.
2. running a class 2 and up rapid on my kayak, my manual everything topcon antique rangefinder covered in a watertight housing, with a cable release screwed onto the kayak deck. Put in KODAKCOLOUR 200 ISO, on a range of pre-set settings, fixed focus at 3', everything is sharp, in focus and clear. I have yet to see a portable, light digicam that can take these shots pre-set and pre focused with a fast enough lens and 0, (yes 0) shutter lag.

All in all, i think, my biggest beef with digicams in general would be this really anoying shutterlag, as minimal as it seems to be with some newer cameras, its still there, loud and clear when you dont want it.

Other than that, i havent touched film for anything. How about you? Come on, share the dirt.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2002, 12:55 PM   #2

I agree in your points Geof. Digicam are not perfect and personally I think that even in picturequality conventional camera still rules. There's a certain dynamic in a well shot and processed photo, that you wont find in no digicam sofar.

The annoying elements as shutterlag, DOF, a.s.o often makes the final result better. However - digicams has lots of advantages to film... and film will get off the market in some years. It's just a matter of time before the chips and algorithms get advanced enough.

And thanks for that.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 1:22 PM   #3

If I wanted to shoot B&W and had access to a decent lab.

Really, I enjoyed developing and printing. Maybe I was addicted to the smell of Kodak Rapid Fixer.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 1:30 PM   #4

Below freezing point, I use film SLR; even with some electronic inside, it still works well arrond -10 celcius for sure. At -20 celcius, then my fingers have problem before the camera :mrgreen:
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 1:46 PM   #5

We have seen weather go below 30 degrees (F) a couple times while living in El Paso. We had snow that stayed on the ground for three days once. Once it snow 4 or 5 inches at night and I was playing golf that afternoon in 60 degree weather. Based on this history, I never shoot except with my digital. Yes we are having a cold front for this weekend the highs will only reach the lower 50's.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 1:48 PM   #6

Kcan, i also loved the darkroom; but when i tried colour darkroom, it was overwelming. I was turned off until photoshop.
jsmeeker is absolutely right: digicams cannot touch the precision and impact of a well made b&w print....Not yet!
Old Dec 6, 2002, 1:53 PM   #7

gibsonpd3620: i remember quite a few times in very cold weather, with my canon F1n on a tripod, waiting for the light to get right, taking out the batteries and keeping them in my jacket, and them re inserting them in the camera before the shot because they would die from the cold. I also remember the shutter freezing open once. Granted, real cold, but still: it makes for some great shots.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 5:38 PM   #8

Isn't 32 degrees F =0 C and not the other way around or is my mind still addled from all that fixer.

David
d77avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 11:17 PM   #9

Yes, 0 degrees Celsius is 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

And 20C = 68F (If you've ever done any b&w developing and printing you already know this )

Degrees Celsius X 1.8 + 32 = Degrees Fahrenheit

Interestingly, -40C = -40F.

Btw, my best advice for photographing in these kinds of temperatures, digital or film, is to stay inside and shoot in the studio!

:lol:
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote