Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 30, 2005, 8:41 AM   #1

I downloaded the irfan Viewer after a suggestion here. It is a very nice photo browser. However my machine started slowing down, refusing to shut off and even starting by itself and connecting to the web. Looks like a virus may have crawled into the program. Perhaps somebody a lot more computer competant could take a look at this and save others a lot of trouble. I finally had to wipe the hard drive and start over from scratch.
arthogrefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2005, 9:00 AM   #2
Administrator

I don't think there is anything wrong with Irfanview. Are you running virus protection?

If not, I'd urge you to get something. You can get the free version of AVG antivirus from here:

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

Make sure you've got the latest updates, too. I've got mine setup to check for new updates every night.

Also check to make sure you don't have any spyware. I run Spybot S&D often (http://www.safer-networking.org ). Microsoft has a free beta Anti-Spyware program now, too:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Where did you get irfanview? Was it from one of the download mirrors shown on their web site at http://www.irfanview.com ?

It's very unlikely that you got the problem from irfanview (unless your source for the program was questionable).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 12:49 PM   #3

Yes. from the top source. This happened a second time about two weeks later so I'm darned suspicious.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:16 PM   #4

I have IrfanView on both my home and work computers and haven't had anything like that happen. I also run AdAware and Spybot regularly, but they don't find anything questionable.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 4:35 PM   #5

arthogrefe wrote:
Quote:
I downloaded the irfan Viewer after a suggestion here. It is a very nice photo browser. However my machine started slowing down, refusing to shut off and even starting by itself and connecting to the web. Looks like a virus may have crawled into the program. Perhaps somebody a lot more computer competant could take a look at this and save others a lot of trouble. I finally had to wipe the hard drive and start over from scratch.
It's possible that you may have a virus in the computer, but it's too hard to say if it really has one due to the viewer. Could it be possible that you had a dormant virus on the computer already, and the installation of your viewer simply triggered it? Or something in the operating system got corrupted during installation. As I know from experience...operating systems like MS windows can get corrupted when given enough time, and produce the symptoms you've described...even when no virus was involved. For me...the more windows 'updates' I get, and the more 'officially made' programs I install....the more weird things start to happen with my computer. I also know that some antivirus software (eg norton) can sometimes block internet traffic through cable modems etc.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 6:56 PM   #6

I use irfanview, and have so for many years. never had a problem with it
Amaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:47 PM   #7

i also have used Irfanview for a long time now and it has always worked nicely and fast. i run my antivirus program often and spyware. it doesn't detect irfanview to be anything bad.
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:57 PM   #8
Administrator

Unlike many other applications, Irfanview doesn'trely on Window's .DLL's. It's a self contained .exe file except for it's plug-ins (and it keeps these in a subdirectory of it's own -- not associated with the Operating System).

So, it would not have impacted your PC's operation by messing up the way Windows works.

Chances are, something else was wrong (i.e., spyware, viruses, or a problem with Windows somewhere unrelated to Irfanview).

You can't take enough precautions. In addition to Anti-Virus Software and Anti-Spyware Software (as mentioned in my previous post), I'd also suggest running a decent firewall. I'm using the free edition of Zone Alarm, as well as a hardwarerouter/firewall.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 5:04 AM   #9

Just my two cents...whenever I download a program from the web, I save it to an isolated folder, and before I do anything, I scan the file for viruses. Then, after I install the program, and before I run it the first time, I scan my system with adaware to make sure the program didn't come with any surprises. I did that with irfanview the other night, and it was clean.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:52 AM   #10

Great a lot of you have success with the program. I am using the XP firewall and had Norton antivirus installed. I 100% agree that allowing upgrades is a problem source and couldn't even get Service Pac 2 to work. I'm using a separate laptop for all internet access, now without Norton which makes it a lot faster and the original operating system, it's an IBM. It only takes a couple of hours to reformat and reload. In the 15 years I've been on line I've only had four bad incidents, including the two recent ones.