Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 30, 2005, 6:55 PM   #1

I was just reading a couple discussions where people mentioned owning, and regularly using, a few different cameras and it got me to thinking... what cameras do people use for different tasks and why...
Now obviously there is the size issue... in some situations it simply is not practical to cart around a bulky dSLR with all the lenses etc. (i.e. a small P&S for quick holiday snapshots vs dSLR for macro product photography)
So excluding physical size (and holiday snapshots) as a primary reason, which cameras do you use for which tasks and why? Do you find one of your cameras produces better results under certain conditions than another, but visa-versa under other conditions? Perhaps one is better for macro work while another is better under low light and another better for fast paced action shots.
NivlacNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2005, 9:36 PM   #2
KSV

Right now have 3 cameras - Canon A60, Panasonic FZ10, *istDS. DSLR is better (providing proper lens) for any kind of work. Everything came to convenience (i.e. size). FZ10 is good for hyperzoom (mind, only one of my cameras with IS) when I am lazy to change lenses, or do not like to bother myself to carry them. So often I use it for nature shooting. A60 (again, size) is good as "party" camera or "walk" camera, when I do not intend to shoot anything, but take it "just in case". And if to be perfectly honest with you, since I have DSLR, other cameras collecting dust more and more - IMHO it is better to get one good shoot then 10 not so good ones.

Cheers
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:53 AM   #3

Greetings, NivlacNZ...

I have a Canon EOS 20D for serious photography and my wife carries a Canon A75 with her everywhere. It's primarily a question of portability. We have gotten some shots simply because it's impossible to take a picture with the camera that got left at home.

If you have two cameras, it's a good idea to have compatible media. Common batteries would also be a good idea, but it's not easy because DSLRs are real power hungry and little pocket cameras often use small AA batteries.

The quality of the 20D's photos is much better than that of the A75, but when printing 4X6s, the difference is hard to see. The shutter lag and "cropability" difference is more of an issue.We use the A75 to take pictures and the 20D to do photography. Both cameras have their places.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:56 AM   #4

I have a Nikon D100 and a Minolta S414, about as different as day an night. I use the Nikon for all my "serious" shooting. However I have a lot of supporting equipment to go with the Nikon. My camera bag weighs about 40 pounds. It is a backpack but not on my back!!. When traveling by air, I use a smaller bag with just a couple lenses, flash, and a few filters.

I use my S414 as my "Johnny on the spot" ready for anything camera. I carry it in my briefcase to work and on weekends, it is in the jockey box in my car. I use it for those situations where a photo opportunity suddenly presents itself and there is no time to get the Nikon.

Both cameras use CF1 cards so I can switch cards between cameras (with reformatting). However, I now use a Hitachi Microdrive in the Nikon so all my CF cards are reserved for the Minolta.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:59 AM   #5

Even in my 35mm SLR days I had a small pocket zoom camera. Over the years I have more shots from my pocket cameras than with my larger ones because they are always with me.

I screwed up the LCD on my little S4 and now I'm back to carrying my Oly C50 in a small leather belt pouch. I still get more pictures with my carry camera even though it doesn't have the versatility of the larger cameras.

If I'm going somewhere I know I will be taking pictures I carry my old Minolta D7i in a fanny pack. The wide angle and decent zoom range let me take most pictures.

For nature I carry my Panasonic FZ10. I always carry it when I go out in my boat because a lot of stuff usually turns up I can't get close to.

I will eventually get a DSLR, but won't ever be without a small camera I can carry everywhere. I need to upgrade the C50 but there isn't anything I really want right now. I'm waiting for a 7Mp with decent controls and stabilization.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 5:16 PM   #6
KSV

Wildman wrote:
Quote:
Common batteries would also be a good idea, but it's not easy because DSLRs are real power hungry and little pocket cameras often use small AA batteries.
Not necessarily true :-)- *istDS use AA and one can easy get 500 and more from rechargeable set
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 5:37 PM   #7

KSV wrote:
Quote:
Wildman wrote:
Quote:
Common batteries would also be a good idea, but it's not easy because DSLRs are real power hungry and little pocket cameras often use small AA batteries.
Not necessarily true :-) - *istDS use AA and one can easy get 500 and more from rechargeable set
Yeah, I always thought that DSLR's are less power-hungry. After all, what drives power consumption in the compact digicams is mainly using the LCD for preview which isn't possible on most DSLR's.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote