Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 31, 2005, 5:58 AM   #1

I know many new scanners come with a facility to scan 35mm negs. Is it possible to scan negs with a scanner just by placing them onto the glass surface or do they need to be backlit.

I havel a huge amount of negs which i would like to transfer and thought this would be a possibility.

Thanks in advance.

The tadge
The Tadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:22 AM   #2

I've never done it, but I doubt you'll be happy with the results.
It is possible to buy an add-on device to scan a negitive on most scanners (3rd party or OEM) but I've heard mixed things about the results. Some find it acceptable others done. Clearly the dedicated scanner will be better, but that is obvious.

The problem with saying something is "good" is that everyone has different standards. Good to some is not good to others.

If you plan to scan a lot of negatives, a dedicated scanner is the way to go because it will just be easier to do.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:28 AM   #3

The negs really need to be backlit. I did try some slides using a white background but the results were poor. The other thing with colour negs is the orange mask, simply inverting the scan won't give true colours. The software with my film scanner came with profiles for processing several types of colour neg film to create a positive. Using the right one makes a big difference to the final result.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 3:04 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice.

It looks like i may have to invest in a new scanner.

Regards

The tadge
Old Mar 31, 2005, 4:03 PM   #5

Take a look at the Minolta ScanDual IV. It costs around $300-400 and has a resolution of 3400 dpi. It will scan strips of up to six negatives at one time or four slides. I have the predacessor, the ScanDual III and am very pleased with it.

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 4:31 PM   #6

Make sure you scan your negs with at least 2400dpi! I had a cheap scanner at my university that could only do it with 1200dpi and the results were more than poor. You could not even recognize a face...
Iceseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 4:37 PM   #7

The negs/slides do need to be back-lit, the latest crop of flatbed scanners from epson/hp/canon with built in transparency capability do a adequate job on scanning them. But not a great job if want high-rez final output, that is stillthe domain of dedicated high performance scanners like the nikon 4000/minolta 5400.

I just began the task ofmaking reference images(at 800dpi) of about 10,000 35mm slides from my archives using a flatbed, so I can enter them ina database for research/lookups. If any images are needed for final output they will be selected and scanned at high rez (5400dpi) at that time. The high rez scans tend to take a long time to do all at once.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 3:11 AM   #8

Thanks once again folks.

It looks as if this little project is going to cost a little more than i thought.

I may have to dig out all the prints and place 5 or six in the scanner at once. Time consuming but a slightly cheaper.

Many thanks for the replies

The tadge