Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 31, 2005, 7:21 AM   #1

The prices of lenses are so much higher in the Netherlands (where I live) than in the USA (not fair!).

I'll give you a couple ofexamples:

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX HSM (€815 the Netherlands) (€620 in USA)
Tamron 28-75 XR DI f2.8 (€379in the Netherlands (€286 in USA)
EF 70-200mm f/4L (€662,00 the Netherlands) (€441 in USA)
Sigma 100-300 F4.0 EX IF HSM (€964 the Netherlands) (€697om USA)

USA prices are from B&H Photo (€1 - $1.29).

My question is, does somebody has experience with shipping products from the USA to Europe (especially The Netherlands). Ifimport fees, duty, Customs or taxes may be charged whenmerchandise reaches me then I don't know if thereare any benefits from shipping it from the USA. The prices in The Netherlands vs USA makes a big difference to me.
Please help!
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:53 AM   #2

call the customs office and ask how much value an import can have without being taxed. if it's less than what you're ordering, just tell the company you're ordering from to mark the package "gift". a lot of them are used to it, and will help you.
Amaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 2:54 PM   #3
kex

but remember, that the warranty will in most cases be limited to the USA when you purchase stuff from there.
that means if anything should be wrong with the lens or if anything will brake, you'll have to send the cam back to the USA on your own costs.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:55 AM   #4

kex wrote:
Quote:
but remember, that the warranty will in most cases be limited to the USA when you purchase stuff from there.
that means if anything should be wrong with the lens or if anything will brake, you'll have to send the cam back to the USA on your own costs.
Kex, are prices lower in Germany (or maybe even Poland) than they are in Holland (I gave the prices of the lenses in the first post). THanks
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 2:40 AM   #5
kex

Well at least the
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX HSM is cheaper in germany. I can't find the others at the moment.
But the 70-200 f2.8 EX HSM is about 735€ + shipping but I've also seen it new at ebay for 699€. but there are no offers at the moment.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote