Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 7, 2002, 4:27 PM   #1

Default Cause of chromatic aberration?

Hi Folks-

What causes chromatic aberration or the dreaded purple fringe problem? I searched the forums and did not find any discussion on this.

I've seen horrible pictures from the Nikon CP5000 that looked like a pulple neon tube wrapped trees against a cloudy sky. If anybody wants to see what I mean I can post a sample.

I suspect that it's optics, because I've seen it in binoculars. But if this is the case, I wonder what would be the motivation tp use cruddy optics in digicams that cost $1,000?

TIA,

nomad
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2002, 5:02 PM   #2

hi,
I know what you mean about chromatic aberration in binoculars. I get it in a short focal length telescope I use. I think it is not quite so simple with digicams. I think partly it is the fault of the ccd used in compact cameras and made worse by some poor optics.
Or to put it another way, welcome to the world of digicam. Just work around the kind of situations that exagerate this phenomenon.

David
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 7:05 PM   #3

Phil Askey has an excellent optical explanation of chromatic abberration on his dpreview.com site. See http://www.dpreview.com/learn/Glossa...rations_01.htm
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 7:16 PM   #4

yeah, before and after not much difference. Better to avoid the problem to begin with. Sorry, my view from past experience.

David
Old Dec 7, 2002, 7:56 PM   #5

Default Not me

While you can not avoid the problem....completely....image stabilizaeion as with the Canon pro90 or Oylumpus C-2100UZI helps and "Picture Viewer" software has the tools to make some good adjustments. I am not going to give up using those long zoom shots and perhaps some day we will get the same type of glass that is used on the higher end scopes in our "low end" cameras?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 9:17 PM   #6

Thx Richard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Howes
Phil Askey has an excellent optical explanation of chromatic abberration on his dpreview.com site. See http://www.dpreview.com/learn/Glossa...rations_01.htm
Interesting, considering that John Glenn in Friendship 7, launched February 20, 1962, that's 40 years ago to:

"Place a man into earth orbit, observe his reactions to the space environment and safely return him to earth to a point where he could be readily found."

That glass is still so problematic.

nomad
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 6:34 AM   #7

Default Oops

The software: "Picture Viewer" should have read: "Picture Window Pro". My error.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 7:08 AM   #8

Richard
That was a very good link and explanination.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 11:24 AM   #9

I read an article some weeks ago and it said the optics on digicams have to be better than on film cameras because of the relatively small CCD.

Apparently they are still unable to make optics that are up to the job (relatively speaking) but they are researching it.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 12:08 PM   #10

Steve to put it in a nut shell the manufacturers are all rubbish.