Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 2, 2005, 9:08 AM   #1

Hi guys,

i d be thankful if someone helped me with this. Ok i have a photo that i d like to give for my univ's competition. Ok they say that they need atleast a 5000pixels size. What does that means? If my photos say 2288x1712 pixels is thatlarger than the 5000pixels needed?

They they require me to also supply the RAW files as captured by the camera along with the jpeg files. So.. do i need to get to all this trouble to get that RAW file? Isnt there a way to get theRAW file from my jpeg's photos i have on my hard disk?

If that is not true.. may i assume that the photos that i havenot photographed with the raw ability.. cannot be trasnformed anymore?

Since i already went to the trouble of doing all this.. i cantdo it!! Iconverted my c750uz taking raw files and then downloaded olyraw2nef.exe as well.. But dont know what to do next.. i open the exe file it says all those parameteres there.. but there is not an apply click or smt.. do i have to transfer that file to my c750uz xd card? then what?

thank you guys, :?

Michael
Michalispro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2005, 9:44 AM   #2

If you have not saved the original raw files somewhere, there is no way to get back the data lost in the jpeg conversion. I always save the original out-of-camera images to CD BEFORE doing any kind of editing. That way, no matter how badly I may screw up the image, I always have the original to start over with.

As for size, I think that the 5000 means 5 megapixels. Your image (2288x1712) is only 3.917 megapixels. I would get clarification on the 5000.

Good luck.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 11:49 AM   #3

Quote:
i d be thankful if someone helped me with this. Ok i have a photo that i d like to give for my univ's competition. Ok they say that they need atleast a 5000pixels size. What does that means? If my photos say 2288x1712 pixels is that larger than the 5000pixels needed?
It is meaningless in this context. It is too small to be a total and too large to be a single dimension or PPI. You either misread the requirements or the organizers are a little lame.

Quote:
They they require me to also supply the RAW files as captured by the camera along with the jpeg files. So.. do i need to get to all this trouble to get that RAW file? Isnt there a way to get the RAW file from my jpeg's photos i have on my hard disk?
The reason they are likely asking for the raw file is specifically because you can't easily convert back to raw after you have altered the image.

Quote:
If that is not true.. may i assume that the photos that i have not photographed with the raw ability.. cannot be trasnformed anymore ?
For all practical purposes I think that is true. I certainly wouldn't know where to start transforming a JPG to raw.

Quote:
Since i already went to the trouble of doing all this.. i cant do it!! Iconverted my c750uz taking raw files and then downloaded olyraw2nef.exe as well.. But dont know what to do next.. i open the exe file it says all those parameteres there.. but there is not an apply click or smt.. do i have to transfer that file to my c750uz xd card? then what?
Maybe you could ask on this thread – maybe the author will pick up on it. http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...jump_to=278678 I'm guessing from your post that you have OlyRAW properly extracting raw files but can't read them on your computer.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote