Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 3, 2005, 12:29 PM   #1

I'm going to the Canary Islands on Tuesday for a surf trip and taking all my photography gear with me. This includes a 20D and 3 lenses (including a Bigma).
My problem is that it weighs more than my hand luggage allowance allows.
If i put my any lenses in with my main baggage will the air pressure and the high altitude screw it up?
Thanks
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2005, 2:20 PM   #2

Why don't you take your heaviest camera body with the heaviest lens and take it on the plane hanging from your neck....just like a real tourist.

Additionally, if you are taking a monopod, then you might be able to pass it off as a walking stick/aid.

Other heavy bits can go in your pockets until your hand luggage is reduced to an acceptable weight.
bacs57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 2:39 PM   #3

Mealers wrote:
Quote:
I'm going to the Canary Islands on Tuesday for a surf trip and taking all my photography gear with me. This includes a 20D and 3 lenses (including a Bigma).
My problem is that it weighs more than my hand luggage allowance allows.
If i put my any lenses in with my main baggage will the air pressure and the high altitude screw it up?
Thanks

just to let you know the cargo hold of a modern transport aircraft is pressurized along with the rest of the pilot/passenger section (as it is a large cylinder). so any "issues" will not exist. in addition even if it wasn't pressurized your camera and lenses are not airtight and will equalized to ambient with no problem. the only camera i ever had a altitude issue with was my nikonos UW which is quite waterproof. it made and interesting pop when i removed the "o" ring sealed lens at 8000-8800 ft (cabin altitude on a long distance flt).just think oflanding in denver (5300-5500 ft) after taking off from newark (20 ft). my 1D2 And 1Ds2 are o ring weather sealed but not airtight either.

take it from someone who spends 8 hrs a day on commercial aircraft and clocksmore then afew thousand miles a year on them flying internationally too. heading for new zealand end of july for a month.

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 2:49 PM   #4

Most airlines allow an extra cary-on for camera gear. If you are with the media, they also allow pre-boarding. Call the airline and ask.

Brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 5:27 PM   #5

How big is the camera bag? As long it's no more than standard backpack size the odds of it getting weighed are pretty much zero.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote