Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:20 PM   #1

Is it wise to purchase extended warranty/service contract with $1500 DSLR?
Wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2005, 4:31 AM   #2

Only you can make that decision but my view is no. I used to buy these warranties all all camera and electrical goods and never made any claims. When things broke down it was always outside the extended warranty period. Since I stopped buying these I reckon I've saved enough money by not buying them to cover any repairs or replacements that would have been covered under the warranties. I reckon if I don't buy these warranties I'm always going to by ahead.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:33 PM   #3

Thanks Nagasaki. That's sum's up where I was leaning as well.

Wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 2:02 AM   #4

you need to ask yourself, would i have enough money (and TIME) in the future to get it repaired, if yes, then dont get it.
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 10:24 AM   #5

Like Nagasaki said "only you can make that decision". I consider them a waste of my money and just about 100% profit for the company that sells them.

Having said that, I must confess that I have bought a few during my life. Most were a waste (never used them). But 2 of them paid for themselves many times over. Those were on a pair of new vehicles I bought one year. beyond the normal factory warranty the extended ones covered a new engine in one and some serious front end work on the other. The rental cars alonethat I was given ate up what I paid for the warranties.

So use your own judgement on if it seems worthwhile. I still do not like them and usually ask the sales people why do I need this? Is your product that un-reliable to need it? Should I buy someone else's? LOL
cwodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 5:57 PM   #6

Wink wrote:
Quote:
Is it wise to purchase extended warranty/service contract with $1500 DSLR?
I would. Here's a link to a Mack 3-year extended warranty which, with shipping, would come to just over $50. Compared to the $1500 you paid for the camera, that's insignificant. Digital cameras have electronic and mechanical parts that are sensitive and can go bad. Essentially after the one year manufacturer's warranty you havethree additionalyears of coverage which averages out to $17 a year--to me that's a good insurance policy. After 4 years if anythng happens you'll probably want something newer anyway.

http://www.qualitydigital.shoppingca...431/733247.htm

I purchased a warranty for my digital camera from these people--got it fast with no hassles.
hakaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 2:19 PM   #7

Just curious if anyone has ever used a Mack Warranty for a Nikon dSLR camera? Does Mack attempt to fix these themselves or do they send it to Nikon? How quickly was the repair made? Is there any deductible?
Starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 7:19 PM   #8

I used Mack once. I had to send the camera back twice because it was not repaired properly. It came back perfect the third time. They did not charge for any shipping for the re-repairs. I checked a local repair agency to see how much the repair would have cost me and they said $350. I figure that using Mack, even with the inconvenience, was worth it.
pingree35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 9:43 PM   #9

What do you guys think about this one?

http://www.17photo.com/product.asp?id=5655

It seems to be from Nikon itself , though only fo 2 years.
goshik1966 is offline   Reply With Quote