Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which would you buy: Fuji s601 or Olympus c-730?
C-730 1 20.00%
s602 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 9, 2002, 1:13 PM   #1

Default Fuji s602 or Olympus C-730

Pretty much the same price, big lens, lots of features. I can't decide! Help!

My goal is a good point and shoot that I can grow into. Also want a camera that help my son learn photography, so I like the manaual features. Video the the s602 looks cool, but I have a mini-dv. Fuji 3800 looks nice too, but I can afford a little better, so I figure "why not?" Fuji seems to have more features. Oly has bigger lens (I know, need tripod for > 6X telephoto).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Allan

[Note: cross posted on fuji and oly forums. I hope that's OK]
allanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2002, 12:00 AM   #2

Default 602 or 730

Well the 602 is a faster camera by far in FPS (frames per second) and it focus much faster too. Go to
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C730/C73A7.HTM for speed tests for many differnt things such as focus and how long to turn on and things like that. Plus hands down the picture quality in my opinion is much better than the 730 by a large margin. Plus it has the final five capture mode were it captures the last 5 frames in burst mode up to i beleive 25 frames and keeps the last 5. Has hot shoe for external flash too. I dont beleive the 730 has a hot shoe so if you need more flash with a 602 you can use external flash with more flash power. And if movies are at all important the 602 blows the 730 away there too with 640 by 480 at 30 fps. Note sure what the 730 sells for but the 602 is a much more capable camera. But if you really need more zoom power the 730 has alot of that but then again you can take a picture in 6 mega pixel mode and crop it to 3 mega pixel resolution and have quite a bit of additional zoom. I think it would be an easy decision but maybe thats just me. Going to upgrade to a dslr Fuji S2 Pro soon myself.
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 7:01 AM   #3

I like the 602, but I bought it as a good 3Mpix cam not 6 (somebody prove 6 interpolated is better!). I agree on all the speed comments, it really adds to useability and that's important - as are its fast ASA options and future proof media options with AA batteries.

However, I've not been able to playback movies on a pc yet which don't suffer frame judder. The pixels and frame rate spec might look brill. but the encode/decode in my case hasn't given better pics than DV for the space it takes on the card.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:52 PM   #4

Default I agree

Oh i agree about the 3 mega pixel photos being better for up to 8.5 by 11 inch prints but when i tried printing a 11 by 14 inch it was better with a 6 mega pixel photo than either a 3 mega pixel or one resized from 3 to 6 mega pixel. I just said about 6 mega pixel if he needed more zoom he could crop a 6 mega pixel shot for more zoom, not that that would be great but it could do a decent 4 by 6 or maybe 5 by 7 print. Plus if your only doing pictures for email or web you can use a ISO of 800 or even 1600 for those low light shots. 602 much more capable camera than 730. I even did a 12 by 18 but i used two 6 mega pixel pictures and stitched them together for a very good 12 by 18 inch picture.
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 2:53 PM   #5

Default Leaning toward the Olympus

I was leaning toward the Fuji, but now that I've read the reviews at http://www.imaging-resource.com and seen the sample pictures there, I'm starting to leantoward the Olympus. Seems like the Oly has a much better EVF and is better under low light for high res pictures (I know the Fuji can go to 800/1600 ISO, but only at 1 MP). The Oly is also 5 ounces lights and slightly cheaper.

I keep hearing about how the fuji has trouble focusing under low light. How low light is that? are we talking dark room with no lights, or are we talking living room with some lamps on?

This is so darned difficult! Both cameras have stong points! The Fuji's last five option sounds great, but doesn't the Oly have a way to take multiple pictures quickly?

Is this just a situation of "pick one"? Is there no "right" answer?

Help! I don't have much hair left! :-)
allanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote