Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:47 PM   #1

I recently purchased a Konica Minolta z-3 and for the most part have been very happy though I still have alot too learn. One problem I can't seem to get past is that no matter how small I resize the image with photoshop I can't seem to get them smaller than 65 Kb. Even at 50X38 pixels at low quality setting it is still 67 Kb. With all previous cameras the thumbnails would get down to 12 kb even for a 130X98 at medium setting.
Any ideas?
powdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:27 PM   #2

Save from Irfanview and eliminate all of the EXIF. With most digital cameras the EXIF includes its own thumbnail which you don't want in another thumbnail. It is there for viewing on the camera LCD and some programs use it to generate thumbnails quickly.

This is the resize box in Irfanview. Uncheck all of the boxes under save quality:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 8:32 AM   #3

Also, in Photoshop you can eliminate the EXIF and make a smaller file by doing "Save for Web."
Gary Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:20 AM   #4

Yes but I'm doing hundreds at a time. I don't understand why the create web gallery function doesn't default to 'save for web'. I'm using 6.0 if it matters.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 12:52 PM   #5

I searched for jpeg stripper and came up with an excellent solution from steelbytes.com
Old Apr 8, 2005, 2:22 PM   #6

powdork wrote:
Quote:
Yes but I'm doing hundreds at a time. I don't understand why the create web gallery function doesn't default to 'save for web'. I'm using 6.0 if it matters.
photoshop 6? in both photoshop and irfanview you can do batch conversions. in photoshop you can create your own Action (it'll record anything you do) and run it in the batch conversion dialog (file->batch or so). maybe you could use that as a pre-step in order to strip exif info resp. save for web, in a lower quality.
google or ask here for additional info in case you wanna use that.
;]
hueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:36 PM   #7

Yes my life would probably be easier if I learned the batch commands. It occurs to me however that this would be saving the image twice (once in the batch and once in the gallery creation). Wouldn't that mean you would have an image of lesser quality compared to one of the same size saved only once?