Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 10, 2002, 12:52 PM   #1

Default Anyone else noticed how much better glossy prints look??

Last week i took the plunge and printed pics off my fuji 3800 for the first time. I was sadly dissapointed The images were grainy and WAY under exposed. Even at 3MP a 4x6 lookd pretty bad.

I went in again this week and spoke to the chap at the photofinishing store, he recommended glossy prints instead. I just got them back and they look SENSATIONAL!!!!! Honestly, i took a few macro shots and they look professional. He said he adjuste the brightness to allow for the underexposure.

Here is a sample below. Anyone else notice the difference between mat and glossy finish on digicam prints???

Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2002, 1:48 PM   #2

I have used the matte print paper and never really was impressed. I preferr the satin or glossy paper.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 1:56 PM   #3

Satin??? With the matte it looked grainy and i was shattered .. i thought "jesus .. nearly $1,000 on camera and goodies only to get this garbage". Then i got the glossy ones and they look better than film prints.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 2:12 PM   #4

Glossy is great for colour, but for black and white, the ink on glossy gives some awful reflections i found. Satin and pearl are pretty good for black and white.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 3:44 PM   #5

8) I haven't done a lot of printing, but I didn't notice a lot of difference between glossy and satin.
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 5:06 PM   #6

Satin has less shine but is not course like the matte print. I received the Redriver Ultra Gloss paper and it makes great pics. Go to: http://www.redrivercatalog.com/Pages/glossframeset.html
The paper is on sale for $30 for 100 sheets.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 7:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
Satin has less shine but is not course like the matte print. I received the Redriver Ultra Gloss paper and it makes great pics. Go to: http://www.redrivercatalog.com/Pages/glossframeset.html
The paper is on sale for $30 for 100 sheets.
I like the sound of this .......... i get my prints processed at Kodak/Fuji shops ...... i'll ask them.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 10:15 AM   #8

I always print matte, from digital as well as from film. I guess it's a matter of visual preferences.
But nothing should be as bad as you described: if you get really bad results try another shop. I print on-line with Photoaccess and can testify that their mattes are nothing if not brilliant in colors!
Sergey
twopizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 10:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopizza
I always print matte, from digital as well as from film. I guess it's a matter of visual preferences.
But nothing should be as bad as you described: if you get really bad results try another shop. I print on-line with Photoaccess and can testify that their mattes are nothing if not brilliant in colors!
Sergey
You serious??? I found them so grainy even with 3 MP ... that should be plenty for a 4x6. 'tis a decent camera.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 11:25 AM   #10

Another vote for matte prints. I use Epson Heavyweight Matte paper with an Epson 1270 at maximum quality and pictures from my Powershot Pro90 (2.6 megapixels) look great up to 5 X 7 and very good at 8 X 10. No noticeable grain or pixellation.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote