Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 10, 2005, 8:23 AM   #1

My DVD writer is not that old but it's only writes at 1X. (and cost £500 :roll

I was looking at new ones today. For only around £60 - £90 I could get a 16X dual layer one that does both DVD+R and DVD-R disks (and CD-R too, but I already have a good CD writer, so I am not bothered about that)

I nearly bought one on the spur of the moment, but if I did get one sods law says I would get one that everyone ELSE knows to be a lame duck.

So, my question is, what DVD drives are people here using. Does anyone know which type is most compatible/best quality.

I usually go for well known makes like Sony or Phillips, but I know now that they are not always the best.
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:43 AM   #2

Plextor 716A

plextor is what most good pro machines like duplicators use.

http://www.plextor.com

they are constantly tweaking the firmware improving it every couple of months. when i bought my 716A it was a 4x DL now its a 6x DL.

realize that the speeds are relative to the quality of thr disc inserted. what may advert a 8x disc may only record at 4x in these machines due to relative quality. it wants to produce a quality disc instead of a "coaster".

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:18 PM   #3

I usethe previous model to this, LiteOn Dual Layer SOHW-1673S. Very happy with mine and found all the LiteOn drives I have had to be reliable. (Only had newer ones to upgrade, not because of any problems). Compatible with pretty much all systems and media.

Check this review, http://www.atruereview.com/liteon/index.php

You can buy it here, http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/prod...=DRL-SOHW1673S for £38.72 inc vat.A lot of the Eclipse web prices are cheaper than in store, but if at all, it will only be a pound or two more.

If you don't know the shop,they are in St. Nicholas Street Radford, at the town end of Sandy Lane. http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/help.aspx?type=2

Hope this helps,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 6:43 PM   #4

I have an NEC ND-3520A, pioneer drives are also well regarded. I have had no problems so far with my NEC drive.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 6:44 PM   #5

Thanks both for your input.

Stevekin: I know Eclipse well, but I haven't been there in a while. I have been using Micom (On the old GEC site) instead. The Liteon seems very good for such a low price. My dad has a CD writer of theirs

sjms: My current CD-R burner is Plextor. I should have thought to look at their site to see what DVD writers they had.

The Plextor is over double the price of the Liteon. I wonder if it is over priced or if it really is that much better.

I think I would feel happier paying the higher price. I may be wasting the extra money but considering my old DVD writer was £500, £88 for a new one is nothing
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 7:27 PM   #6

I have an optio-rite.

I would recommend buying an external writer over an internal one. You can use it on a number of different machines to do backups, etc.

You can save some money by purchasing an internal DVD writer and buying a separate enclosure. It only takes about 5 minutes to install an internal DVD into an external enclosure, and probably saves you about 30 percent off the price of buying an external DVD.

Generally, I don't see a lot of quality differences between the writers. I usually tell my clients to go out and find a fast and cheap one.

One major difference though between the burners is the software bundle that comes with them. Perhaps educate yourself on the software that comes with each of your choices, and decide if you like the software they are offering.

Usually the burners come with software to edit mini dv footage and burn DVD's, copy DVD's, do system backups, create photo slideshows, etc. Some burners have better software bundles than others.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 9:57 PM   #7

Paul(UK) wrote:
Quote:
Thanks both for your input.

Stevekin: I know Eclipse well, but I haven't been there in a while. I have been using Micom (On the old GEC site) instead. The Liteon seems very good for such a low price. My dad has a CD writer of theirs

sjms: My current CD-R burner is Plextor. I should have thought to look at their site to see what DVD writers they had.

The Plextor is over double the price of the Liteon. I wonder if it is over priced or if it really is that much better.

I think I would feel happier paying the higher price. I may be wasting the extra money but considering my old DVD writer was £500, £88 for a new one is nothing

my expereience with plextor is that it generally has more the 4x the lifespan i have used liteon on budget machines but when it comes to my own its plextor. its all opinion of course.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:42 AM   #8

Just as Stevekin, I also use a Lite-On 1673s. So far it has worked very well, and the price was right, $58.95 US, from www.Newegg.com

tismarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:02 PM   #9

I just replaced my external LiteOn 851SW with the internal NEC3520A. I never could seem to get the LiteOn to work properly (sent it back twice) and it finally go to where it would not recognize either a CD or DVD. Curious thing is, my friend at work has the same unit (both of us purchased from Dell), and my unit would work with his burner and his burner would work with my pc, but my own burner would not work with my pc! Bought the NEC from newegg for $56 USD. It was an OEM and did not contain any software but I have plenty of this and wasn't really interested in what was usually bundled with a burner. I took out my Plextor CD burner and put in the NEC DVD burner -- took all of 10 minutes. I also burn a lot of movies and the NEC works like a champ. BTW, I was VERY happy with my Plextor, but wasn't sure I wanted to pay close to $100 USD for the Plextor. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Plextor, NEC, or the Pioneer 108.

frontier02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:35 PM   #10

I agree with many others that Plextor makes the best quality, most consistant performing writers. You really do get what you pay for here.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-338&depa=1