Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 24, 2002, 2:15 PM   #1

Default Importing cameras to the UK

Hi all,

I live in the UK and am looking to buy a decent digital camera. The prices in the UK seem a lot higher than elsewhere in the world am I am thinking about trying to get one from abroad either through an auction site or by mail order.

My question is this: Does anyone know if I will have to pay VAT or import tax on a digital camera when buying a camera from abroad? If so, does this apply to goods sent within the EU states as well or is there free move of goods within Europe?

Thanks,

Mintyman
Mintyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2002, 6:03 PM   #2

Default importing UK

Vat should not come into play, Just customs duty. You will not be able to use a USA camera with your PAL TV, US market TV signal is NTSC. Cameras bought like that are called "grey Market" and you may have trouble getting it serviced in UK by camera manufacter.
Good Luck
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2002, 8:53 PM   #3

Default buying fm abroad

..and take care on their delivery times...Nomatica (France) are terrible..can take weeks / months !!
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2002, 10:33 AM   #4

A year ago or so I bought a telescopic sight from the US. I paid import duty and VAT. I paid about 70 on the $500 item but it was worth it as I still saved nearly 300.

Import duty is different depending on the item. I think mine came under optical gear and was 3%. You pay VAT on the total cost after duty and postage.

Steve
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2002, 4:29 PM   #5

No extra charges within the EU with the open market.
If u have a friend in the US let him/her buy the camera and send it as a gift. U shouldn't get the tax service on ur back.
DutchDelight is offline   Reply With Quote