Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Worth adding a "pro" forum to the site?
Yes it would be helpful 0 0%
No, not interested 4 44.44%
Possibly, with good moderator 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 12, 2005, 9:04 AM   #1

Would the users benefit from an "ask the pros" or "advice from the Pros" type of forum. I think that with current expansion of DSLRS and related equipment it is time to move the "help" areas up a notch or two.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:26 AM   #2

Sorry, I don't think it would be much use, Just add another place for more of the same/same discussions that already exists in a dozen other forums.

If I want Pro business advice, I go to one of these organizations:
  • The Canadian Photographers Network [/*]
  • Editorial Photographers [/*]
  • Professional Photographers of Canada [/*]
All require proof that you are a working pro (business #), and at leasttwo of the above will not permit discussion of equipment and technique. It is expected if you are a PRO you have already learned the how-to'sin school or by apprenticeship.

There is a Yahoo groupcalled mediaphoto that is a place for Editorial Photographers wannabes, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mediaphoto/ A lot of the EP membership got an "invite" to this group when it was created, some joined and occasionallydo offer advice.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 2:35 PM   #3

I think PeterP and the original question are separate issues.

Most pro forums that I belong to are very different than this one. They talk about how to find your artistic vision, how to previsualize your picture, how you relate to your work & how it reflects/relates to you. Yes, there is talk of technique, but not a lot. There is even less talk about equipment. Most people there know what lenses to use for what (so the questions about equipment use are more of "does X work bettery than Y for Z?" or about new equipment. They aren't "what is the best lens for me?")

But that is not what Setiprime is asking. He is asking if we'd find a benefit from having a forum where we could ask a pro some questions. My fear is that the questions, for the most part, wouldn't really be that interesting to a Pro. I'm not sure why one would agree to do it. We would probably benefit from it, but I'm not sure the level of questions vs. the level of the answer will match up enough to be a big benefit for most people.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 3:42 PM   #4

OK, maybe I was using my standard mis-reading ability of the original postsintent.

Using Eric's definition I'll change to a qualified "yes", providing some resident PRO's can befoundwho arewilling to sit thehot seat, and do it for the long haul.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 7:57 AM   #5

Peter- I hesitate to put my ideas out here in the thread in the fear that it might influence the comments and slant the poll. Basically I'm trying to expand the base of the site to attract those who want to grow in photography after they have learned the basics. Jim C, Kalypso, Eric C, yourself (even I) and others could certainly contribute to a more mature based forum.

I do know for a fact that we have lost some very good people, primarily from boredom. They seldom return, and that is a true loss to the site.

Perhaps the definition of 'Pro' is too specific and makes others think of big time businesses and names. Not my intention at all.

Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:26 PM   #6

My opinion for what it's worth, is that their are probably no (or very very few) true professionals on this site. By that I mean photographers who earn a living S O L E L Y from their photographic endeavers. We are made up of amatuers of varying degrees of expertise. A "pro" forum ought to be limited to just that. Professional photographers. (IMO) Now, I would love to read that forum...but I doubt you'd find a qualifying membership here to support it. Unless you had some way to qualify those who claimed a membership, you would end up with another version of what we already have here. Sometimes that means freeforall. Basically we are by vast majority amatuers enjoying a hobby. As someone already mentioned other pro sites demand certain qualifications. Maybe renaming the forum something other than a pro forum might be more accurate, but how would you then keep the contributors all in the same exalted category? What criteria would be used to grant permission to post? Tough nut to crack...but worth a go I think. There are a lot of talented amatuers here. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:38 PM   #7

I have been taking photographs for 45 years or more and I'm still learning new things. I think this forum is great. Digital is pretty new to all of us and I'm sure that no single person knows everything there is to know about all things digital. Photography is a never ending adventure and I'm sure happy that it is. It is a truly great adventure that the professional can still learn something from the new person just starting out.

PS. See, every time I think I conquerd Photoshop they come out with a new version.

The learning new things just never ends.

Ronnie,

Oh Yeh!!! I like this forum just the way it is.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote