Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:16 AM   #1

After reading several website on digital photography, I'm getting the sense that nearly all point-and-shoot camera lenses will result in distortion in your images. Nearly all the websites mention various Adobe Photoshop plugins to correct the distortion through manipulation of the image.

Is it possible to minimize distortion when you are taking the picture? Are there any general tips or is this more of "take a lot of photos with the camera and get used to it" type of thing?
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:15 PM   #2

Well, it depends on the type of distortion.
Usually the answer is to not take pictures at the longest or shortest zoom.

Another answer is to close the aperture a little bit, but also not to shoot at the smallest aperture either.

Those are usually the things that highten distortion.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:35 PM   #3

Although it is not always practical, when shooting architecture or landscapes, try to hold the camera as level as possible. Pointing the camera up or down will result in perspective distortion. This is the type of distortion where the buildings or trees lean in toward the center of the picture.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 1:40 PM   #4

A lot of sites refer to pincushion (leaning inward) and barrel (bulging outward) distortions.

Those are some good tips, Eric S and Calr. I have to check if I can control the aperture for my Olympus D560 Zoom.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:28 PM   #5

Webapprentice wrote:
Quote:
A lot of sites refer to pincushion (leaning inward) and barrel (bulging outward) distortions.
I've seen some of the software packages that say they can fix that. It's amazing how much work is involved to do so.

To prevent those things you need "good glass." In some ways it's harder to make good lenses for digital cameras than for film cameras. The reason for this is that digital camera lenses must focus the image to a smaller area than film lenses. Another way of putting that is that the light sensors in digital cameras are smaller than a frame of 35mm film. In some cameras a lot smaller. So the lenses have to work harder.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote