Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:55 AM   #1

providing you had similar lenses, which is the fastest out of these?
andreaclassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2005, 3:07 PM   #2

Between these two it is probably a toss up.

They are booth good, comparable cameras. Although the current rumor is that the D70 is up for replacement in the next several months. No idea if its actually true or not.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 3:21 PM   #3
Administrator

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Although the current rumor is that the D70 is up for replacement in the next several months. No idea if its actually true or not.

Eric
Nikon UK published thison April 8, 2005. This press release has since been pulled from the Product News section on theNikon UK web site (it's no longer there). LOL

[quote]Following recent speculation, Nikon UK is pleased to confirm the launch of two new digital SLR cameras to be launched towards the end of April 2005.

Both cameras have been designed to meet the requirements of the entry-level digital SLR user. The first will position itself as successor to the Nikon D70, offering an upgraded version to this highly commended D-SLR. The camera will incorporate the latest in Nikon technology, whilst retaining the functionality and quality which has come to be expected from the D70.

In addition to this, Nikon will be introducing a second D-SLR, specifically designed for consumers looking to upgrade from a digital compact to the next level of digital photography. The camera will be affordable and easy to use, perfect for the D-SLR beginner.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 3:25 PM   #4
Administrator

P.S. -- here is where it used to be before they removed it:

http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/pressreleases/143.shtml

I no longer see any mention of these models:

http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/re...s.aspx?rt=1001

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:17 PM   #5

From what I have read, focus speed is mostly a function of the lens used. You used the term "similar lenses"... not so sure that's always possible. You can compare third party lenses on different cameras, but some manufacturers (Canon, Nikon...) don't make lenses for other cameras. This makes accurateapple to apple comparisons tough.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 4:20 PM   #6

well if you compared sigma lens, say 120-300?
andreaclassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 6:24 PM   #7

I'd bet there's no noticable difference using the same 3rd party lens, as long as the lens maker (Sigma, in this case) properly reverse engineered the lens firmware correctly.

Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:04 AM   #8

Another thing to consider is that lenses last you much longer than the camera body will. So look at the lenses that are available. Think about what you need and see what is out there. Do they fit your needs? Price? Quality? This is relative, so I can't tell you which lens will be "good enough" for you.

Here is an example. When I looked to choose camera systems I looked at the Nikon D100 and the Canon 10D (that is what was out at the time.) They are similar cameras in many ways. So I looked at lenses. I knew I'd need 400mm as I do bird photography mostly. Nikon has the 80-400 (or is it 70-400?) VR and Canon as the 100-400 IS. On paper they are basically the same lens. But in reality they are not. The focusing speed of the Nikon is very slow. I can't have slow AF and expect to photograph birds. The 100-400 is opticall good (not great, just good) but its AF is quite fast for the price. Since that lens will last me 10+ years (and the camera body probably less than 3) I went with Canon.

Figure out what you want to do and what will do it. Then look to see what is available to do it. Oh, and if you consider 3rd party lenses, don't forget that they are not the same across camera systems. There are some lenses that have faster focusing motors on one model (Canon, say) don't on the other (the Nikon, say.) So you can't just say "they will be the same without actually doing the research.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote