Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 22, 2002, 8:56 AM   #21

Default Batch editing EXIF?

Is it possible to batch edit the EXIF (metadata) for a group of pictures?

I use ACDSee and Photoshop 7, and notice that in addition to viewing the EXIF data, you can modify it, but only for one picture at a time. I would like to modify all pictures in a folder, for example, to add a copywrite notice.

Is there any program that is available to do this?
Pilaar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 12:08 PM   #22

Unfortunately the EXIF metadata structure is well standardised. If you can add a copyright notice, somebody else can remove it! Some editors now offer watermarking options (some are linked to a database firm and full features cost money). Any older editing package will strip your EXIF header, and your notice will be gone.

If you really want to protect your work, you probably need both copyright notice and watermark. For web publishing, you can probably downsample pics to a lower res. which makes pics of limited commercial use.

I'd be careful modifying the EXIF headers, particularly on cam originals, in case you create files which become unreadable.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 11:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyun7128
... I notice that if the subject is close, it will blur the background a bit. If the subject is farther away, most of the photo will be in focus (or the background will be very slight ly blurred). Any idea what I am doing wrong? ...
Ken,

You're right on with the large aperture setting (F2.0) to reduce the depth of field (DOF). But if your background is close to your main subject, they they will both be in focus (being within the DOF). Set on Aperture priority at F2.0 (letting the camera select the shutter speed), keep your subject close and well away from your background.

See if that works for you...
solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 5:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Unfortunately the EXIF metadata structure is well standardised. If you can add a copyright notice, somebody else can remove it! Some editors now offer watermarking options (some are linked to a database firm and full features cost money). Any older editing package will strip your EXIF header, and your notice will be gone.
vox..
while most of the exif metadata is read only, there are seveal fields that can be modified: location, author, copyright, subject, etc. I have done this in both ACDSee and PS 7.

The problem is both these programs do it only one picture at a time: it would be useful to batch process a group a pictures all at once. I have tried creating a PS7 action, but unfortunately, this type of processing is not captured when recording an action.

Was just wondering if there was some utility available to batch process exit data - ie, the fields that are modifiable. (maybe this 'is' possible with PS7.. I will check on the Adobe board)
Pilaar39 is offline   Reply With Quote