Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 13, 2002, 2:48 PM   #1

Default Looking for photo website that show camera settings

I little while ago, I was looking at a website where people posted their photos. What was different about this one is that it listed the type of camera, lens and camera settings that were used when taking the photo.

I am still learning and I thought this would be a good tool for seeing what settings people use to acheive the photos that they took.

Thanks.
kyun7128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2002, 3:07 PM   #2

actually that would be sweet.

I have just bought my first manual camera and i WISH i could see what settings the AUTO mode uses to learn from it. I wish i could review the settings once i take the picture too.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 4:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
actually that would be sweet.

I have just bought my first manual camera and i WISH i could see what settings the AUTO mode uses to learn from it. I wish i could review the settings once i take the picture too.
Can't you view the EXIF data??
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 6:02 PM   #4

If the posters to these sites have used a recent version photo-editor which doesn't strip the original EXIF metadata header, you should be able to download the image and view the settings using something like EXIFER (find it with Google). Use the same prog. to see your own cam image data - but remember what I said about photo-editors!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 6:05 PM   #5

I have the Olympus C-3000 and I set the camera to show all the settings used after every shot when I shoot in Auto. It is obviously slower to shoot this way but it is there if I need it.

In Photoshop 7, you can see the photo info buy going to File/File Info... and then choose "EXIF" under "Section" (at the top). I haven't tried accessing photo info with other software but I'm sure someone else here knows.

I hope this helps.
kyun7128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 7:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker

Can't you view the EXIF data??
OK i'm learning pretty fast but WTF is EXIF?? i use my fuji software.
Old Dec 13, 2002, 7:28 PM   #7

I don't know if this will help, but if you have windows XP, try this:
Go into your photo folder in "My Documents", right click on the photo you want, select "properties" when window comes up click on "summary" there you will see stuff like apature, shutter speed, date, camera used, etc.
All my photos are saved as .JPG's and they all show this information.
Photos from my old Sanyo, my new Coolpix 2500, they all show that information, the only camera that will not show that information is my Aptik Megacam, I don't know why, it also puts out .JPG's.
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 8:07 PM   #8

There are several generic EXIF viewers available (EXIF Image Viewer, http://members.nbci.com/mkowalski.1/, one freeware example), but you will do well to ask in the forum for your specific camera. EXIF seems to have about the same degree of standardization as RS-232 - there is a standard on paper, but almost no one follows it exactly.

Almost all generic viewers will show exposure time, f/stop, focal length, and some other data but one for your camera is more likely to show things like flash settings, white balance, ....
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 11:54 PM   #9
Administrator

Take a look at our Digicam Software page for image viewing utilities found here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digsoftware_viewers.html

Scan the description for the word "Exif" - many of the viewing programs let you view the Exif data too.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 12:14 PM   #10

My fuji software just says "AUTO" for everything when i use the auto setting ..... so i have no idea what the camera has done and if i can learn from it.