Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 14, 2002, 11:39 AM   #1

Default installing problems

i have a following problem: I have just bought sony DSC P-9 camera, it's very cool, but I can not install it on my computer... it means,.. the stuff from CD I installed, but the program can't capture the photos from the camera. The computer sees the camera like a new disc... it's very strange. if someone could help me, i'll be very happy.
Laganowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2002, 11:54 AM   #2
Administrator

If your computer "sees" the camera as a removeable drive then all you do is use Explorer to copy the files from the camera to a folder on your hard drive.

You will have to go down about two levels of folders to find the JPG picture files. The first folder is almost always called DCIM, the next folder name is dependant on the brand of camera and is usually some form of the camera name.

Drive E: ---|
----------------- DCIM ---|
-------------------------------- NIKON100 ---|
----------------------------------------------------- DSCN0001.JPG
----------------------------------------------------- DSCN0002.JPG
----------------------------------------------------- DSCN0003.JPG

So once you find where the JPG image files are you just mass tag them (hit Ctrl-A for "all") and then copy them to a folder on your hard drive. It's best to make your folders with logical filenames. For instance the base folder could be "Pictures" and then "Janes Birthday 12-14-02" and etc. If you put the date in there it will help you find it later, especially if you shot a lot of pictures.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 5:30 PM   #3

Alternatively, Do a 'Find' '*.jpg' on your new removeable drive (cam). This will show you your picture files and which directory they are in on your camera media.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 3:30 AM   #4

Default ...installation problems

thanx for interest, ..but I have tried to follow the instructions, and actually I can't open the drive E.. it's not formated, and it's not able to formate.. The computer just sees it, but it's impossible to read the drive E. What should I do than?
Old Dec 15, 2002, 5:05 AM   #5

Presumably you have a formatted, working card/stick, and can replay pictures in the cam that you have just shot?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 9:58 AM   #6

Default installing problems

yes, the camera is working properly. the only problem is that its impossible to put pics on the computer...this is a big question, I'm sitting on it second day and it makes me a little upset... :?
Old Dec 15, 2002, 5:54 PM   #7

What operating system?? Is it Linux? If so, don't forget to mount the filesystem.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote