Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 20, 2002, 7:33 AM   #11

Steve's evaluation of these cameras are about as neutral as it gets. I know that Olympus uses glass optics and I am not sure about Canon but I am sure that they do. You can also check www.dpreview.com for other evaluations. Camera owners are bias toward their brand as I am toward Olympus. Olympus C5050 has three optional media capability as Glider has pointed out. Steve really considers this one of the top cams. Good luck
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 12:18 PM   #12

Don't forget the 3rd review site for digis:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 1:04 AM   #13

Unfortunately neither dpreview or imaging-resource has reviewed the Oly C5050 yet. However you can read a good number of user opinions on the camera at dpreview. One thing I dislike about imaging-resource is their stupid pop up ads. :x One of them I just got a minute ago wouldn't go away when I clicked the close box; and ended up crashing IE., forcing me to type all of this over again. :roll: I'll have to run Ad-aware now to check for spyware too. (Anybody know of a good pop up ad blocker that doesn't contain spyware and works in windoze xp?)

One of the latest user comments about the C5050 at dpreview mirrors my thoughts between it and the G3 closely. The Oly has a metal body, more resolution, and takes 3 kinds of storage media. The Canon is plastic, has less resolution, and only takes one kind of media.
The C5050 is also $100 cheaper up here in the Great White North than the Canon.
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 3:46 AM   #14

If you're in that price range, get the G2 or G3...check out review at www.megapixel.net
Also, check out the best price from a 'reliable' merchant, you're looking at $540 vs $740, delivered!
http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/default.asp
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 2:29 PM   #15

Glider:

Strange you get pop-up ads at imaging-resource. I have been there dozens, if not hundreds, of times with no pop-ups !!!
I do use Ad-Aware and the free version Zone Alarm.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 2:34 PM   #16

Zone Alarm zaps them, Cookie Jar cleans the Cookies session to session, Adaware super cleans the registry (pity it's not dynamic) and Spider bites the traces you left behind in your dat file AFTER you thought you'd erased the history list!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 10:34 AM   #17

I can recommend naviscope to get rid of popup, along with blocking a fair amout of other things. I use it on XP, and it stops popups dead. There has been rumors off and on about it being spyware, but I've read some stuff about people using TCP analysers on it and it was clean.
I would google on:
nscope.exe
as the software has been out of development for years and you can't download it from there anymore. Its still fairly easy to find, though.
One word of warning. It is a bit confusing to setup initially, but if you read the buildin help, I was able to figure it out.

I've heard about cookie jar, but I haven't tried it yet. Zone alarm (the "free for non-commercial use" version) doesn't stop pop-ups that I've seen.... heck, I didn't think it did anything for web browsing, it only allows you to control TCP/IP port usage (a very good thing in this day of being port scanned every 10 minutes.) Oh, and there is something about stopping email VBS attachements. I don't read email in a way this would make a diff, so I don't know how well it works.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 2:47 PM   #18

Fuji sells cameras cheap but they do not use exif or PIM in thier cameras so you may have to do color adjustments to all your pictures before you print.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 2:58 PM   #19

My 602z has EXIF data, lots of it! I checked my old 1mpix Ricoh - that has it as well.

The truth of a good cam is to shoot a flash full of varied pics, upload to an on-line print facility, and see what comes back, from more than one mini-lab if you wish!.

If you want to do global changes you'd better make sure you can trust what you see first, 'cos when you do eventually upload to a mini lab, you might wonder why the pics don't turn out so well as they looked on your pc.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote