Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 14, 2002, 5:20 PM   #1

Default Back to Square One, Opinions and Assistance Requested

Could the good people on Steve's Forums please help me (once again)? I thought I'd finally settled on a digital camera and bought the Fuji FinePix 3800. That was a mistake. My new list of 'possibles' is: Fuji FinePix s602z; Nikon CoolPix 4300; and Olympus C-4000z. My requirements are: great high-resolution pictures; pro-sumer capabilities; great macro; add-on lens capabilities; flash hot shoe or ability to use off-camera flash via a bracket/grip; tripod mount; multiple ISO settings available (at least 3); and lots of creativity & control options.

Thanks in advance.
Owlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2002, 7:32 PM   #2

The 3800 was never for you ...... you obviously need a more 'serious" camera.

Go the Oly c-4000 and put up with the lousy zoom, takes great shots.

If you can afford the S602 then even better.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 8:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, Alfisti. Since my post, I've added the Fuji 4900 Zoom; Fuji 6900 Zoom; and Minolta DiMage 7. Same recommendations?
Old Dec 15, 2002, 12:28 AM   #4

Look at the dimage 7I . I have the 7Hi love it to death. Lots of controls. Great pics and lots of flexibility. ALso no proprietary batteries and uses microdrive or cf cards too.
rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 9:34 AM   #5

How much $$$ for one these days? I'll check on-line, of course, but I thought I'd ask for the sake of comparison.
Old Dec 15, 2002, 7:48 PM   #6

you can find one for 726.00 on the net some lower but the vendor is not rated that well.
rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 7:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
The 3800 was never for you ...... you obviously need a more 'serious" camera.

Go the Oly c-4000 and put up with the lousy zoom, takes great shots.

If you can afford the S602 then even better.
Well, yesterday, I returned the 3800. The C4000 there felt good, but I decided not to rush this time. I also saw the *gorgeous* Fuji s602. That may be the camera for me 'down the road,' but not yet. Now, I'm trying to compare the C4000 to the Nikon CoolPix 4500; Canon PowerShot G2; PowerShot G3; and Minolta Dimage s404. Being honest with myself, I probably don't need 4 megapixels yet. However, the Canons felt more like small bricks than durable cameras.

Opinions?
Old Dec 18, 2002, 10:35 PM   #8

If you're willing to pony up for a G3, why not consider the Oly C5050? Steve says its a great camera to grow into:

Quote:
-- this camera is sure to satisfy even the most demanding of users. It's also the perfect camera for those just starting out that want the best possible camera to "grow into" later as their photographic talents expand.
Sounds perfect for a newbie to digital photography like me. I think this one will be my first digital camera. I can hardly wait to get it in the new year, after the Xmas rush is over!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 7:19 AM   #9

Two things: I'm not sure who has better optics, Oly or Canon, and I'd like the added capacity of CF cards over SM cards.

Is there an objective (neutral) website that compares various camera manufacturers' optics?
Old Dec 19, 2002, 8:20 PM   #10

I expect that in a similar price range, all the top camera manufacturers will offer similar quality lenses. The Olympus C5050 takes three types of storage media, read Steve's review about it here.
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote