Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2005, 6:06 PM   #1

:?I am away 2-3 months at a time and don't want to lug my big IBM CRT back and forth, so I just bought a Samsung 17 inch SyncMaster 711t LCD monitor for this travel. It presents a beautiful, bright screen, with a contrast ratio of 1000/1, but on a typed page, the type does not appear as sharp as I would expect and there appears to be a slight shadow around the characters. I haven't made any adjustments or tried it with images yet because the Internet doesn't recognize the Website the included CD tries to direct me to for the User Manual. I'll have to call Samsung to get that straightened out.

Overwhelmed by the variety of choices, I went for the 1000/1 contrast ratio v 500/1 for most other makes, though I have no idea how important that is.
Any advice on this monitor? I can always return it within a reasonable time.

Thank you very much,

Bob
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2005, 2:00 PM   #2

The adjustments are likely to make a huge difference. In particular, pay attention to your computer's display settings. This monitor's native resolutionis 1280 x 1024, and for optimum results your computer's displayneeds to be set at the same resolution, otherwise you will see scaling artifacts and somewhat blurry text.

Also, the monitor itself has a number of adjustments that can be made. Once the computer's display output is at the correct resolution, you can start to play with these. I would start with the automatic settings before getting too crazy, as these are usually sufficient for most purposes.

If you are running Windows XP, make sure you also try the ClearType settings, which are designed to improve the readibility of text when displayed on LCD monitors.

Samsung is known for their excellent LCD monitors, and from what I have read the 711t sounds like a particularly good one.
Daniel T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 4:19 PM   #3

As said, make sure it's set to the recommended resolution first. If the problem's still there then there's probably an auto adjust setting that should get it looking fine. If that doesn't solve it, look for the setting marked "phase" - adjusting that should clear it up.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:27 AM   #4

:-)Thank you very much. Now I'll try to figure out what computer's display resolution, phase, and ClearType mean. :? Of course, I had to doubly-confuse things as always by making multiple changes at once.

Bob
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 12:26 PM   #5

Is your computer running Windows XP? Click on Start, Control Panel, Display, then click the Settings tab. You should see the "Screen Resolution" slider on the left, and the "Color Quality" setting on the right. Change the screen resolution to match your monitor (you may have to restart your computer for the settings to take effect.) You may also want to make sure your Color Quality is at least 24-bit.

Note: Setting your screen resolution higher will tend to make everything on your screen appear smaller. There are ways to deal with that, but first try these changes to see if it fixes the problem. You can always change it back if you don't like it.

At this point don't worry about turning on ClearType or changing the monitor's phase adjustment, as this is getting overly technical and may not even be necessary.
Daniel T is offline   Reply With Quote