Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 15, 2002, 2:21 PM   #1

Default Olympus C4000 or Casio QV4000

I am thinking of buying one of these cameras but cannot decide on which, can any listers comment on the finer points regarding each choice and pass on any experience they have had with either of these models

Thanx
Tim
jabtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2002, 6:08 PM   #2

Boy might you be opening a box of tricks!
Lets see how it pans out.
David
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 7:59 PM   #3
PSP

I've owned both of the subject cameras, and I have a strong opinion.

I owned a Casio 2000, then a Casio 3000, and I loved them both in their time. I really looked forward to the 4000, but I must say I was disappointed. The image quality was so-so, and it was the only digital camera I've owned where the controls were so non- intuitive that I had to constantly read and re-read the manual.
I owned an Olympus 2020, then a 3000, and I looked forward to the 4000. I was NOT disappointed. Beautiful images, able to operate all the features without ever opening the manual.
Most digital cameras, it seems, struggle to produce good photos indoors with on-board flash. The Olympus cameras aren't perfect in that regard, but they're the best of the bunch by far.

Add to that, the Casio is discontinued and hard to find, and the Olympus is cheaper.
PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 3:46 AM   #4

While I can't comment on the Casio, you might want to go to the Olympus forum and check out posts such as C4000 focusing problems...also, check out the Minolta Dimage F100, same price range, less problems...lol on David's post...enter the sacrificial lambs...
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 2:00 PM   #5

Thanx for the feedback.

I have decided against the Casio cos I have found it impossible to find anywhere locally to actually see it "in the flesh".

I have read the olympus forum Re. focusing problems and found the discussion very intresting. But at the risk off throwing a cat amongst the pigeons, I wonder if this problem is only present on earlier stock of this camera as the discussion goes back some time, anybody familiar with the original Sony Playstation will be aware of a situation where the original console was OK but a version was relaesed a few months after the initail launch that was manufactured with cheaper components that caused all sorts of problems (here in the UK at least).

A for the Minolta I see it has similar specs ass what I am looking for but personally i this the design leaves a lot to be desired.

Tim
jabtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 1:44 PM   #6

That's very interesting to me as I have mostly always been adverse to buying anything firsthand. I would prefer to wait until things settle down. But, no I bought my c4000 as soon as advertised. I do not know if that is a case of fools rushing in etc. But at present, due to serious personal poor health, I don't care if it self destructs james bond style. Give up!!

Regards and God bless,

David
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 3:21 PM   #7

David, my prayers go out to you, for divine intervention with your health. Blessings, Johnny...
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote