Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 23, 2005, 9:05 PM   #1

Is modifying camera/creating a camera consisting of many branded parts legal?
Ixus 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:31 AM   #2

As long as you have legally purchased the camera/parts, and are doing it for your personal use, I don't know why not. Sounds like an interesting project, anyway.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:47 AM   #3

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
As long as you have legally purchased the camera/parts, and are doing it for your personal use, I don't know why not. Sounds like an interesting project, anyway.

brian
Thanks for your help - I may try to build my own "perfect" camera with a camera bodyconsisting of differentmanufacturer parts
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:22 AM   #4

Be sure to post info on how you do it, including cost of parts and pics.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:43 AM   #5

It does indeed sound interesting. Are you trying to marry a standard film camera to a CCD array? I have a lot of trouble picturing much else working well without a lot of custom programming.
Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:42 PM   #6

Cool! If you are indeed able to do it, post how you did it.

I don't see how it would be illegal. You can buy parts (hardware & software) from different makers and build your own computer. Same with cars. So why not cameras?
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 2:31 AM   #7

Redwingsfan wrote:
Quote:
It does indeed sound interesting. Are you trying to marry a standard film camera to a CCD array? I have a lot of trouble picturing much else working well without a lot of custom programming.
I think I'll make a digital camera with digital parts only. I might consider using the Canon Pro1's CCD, add in a 12x zoom lens plus a few of my own, fit the parts into a camera body (Can't decide which one right now) and there you have it. A custom pro + point and shoot camera:G
Old Apr 26, 2005, 3:00 AM   #8

Do you (or anyone know) where to get a CCD? I was wondering based on today's sensor technology what the noise would be like above ISO 800 on a 2 megapixel 2/3" CCD? Also, how small (including the barrel, assuming it has 2 or 3 or more telescoping segments) could a lens be made for that sensor to have a 36-108mm F/1.0 to F/2.0 zoom?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 6:45 AM   #9

Sounds interesting. Are you going to work on the software for all the camera's functions too?
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:57 AM   #10

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
Sounds interesting. Are you going to work on the software for all the camera's functions too?

THAT is what might be illegal... if you'd copy the BIOS or other software from a camera manufacturer without a license you might be infringing on the manufacturer's copyrights.

Also, if you get a camera body, make sure that it doesn't include any brand labeling (i.e. using your homemade camera with a big ol' Canon sticker on it) -- that could be trademark infringement. (In fact, a shrewd lawyer could aruge that putting your parts into a recognized camera body might be "trade dress" infringement, but that is a stretch.)

If you purchase the parts, I don't believe (but am not positive) that anyone could raise a patent infringement claim, but that also might deal with the scope of the license you're given when you purchase a part.

Good luck!

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote