Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 16, 2002, 3:12 PM   #1

Default New Camera Suggestions

I want to buy a new carmera and was looking for suggestions. I currently have a Kodak DC 280 but would like something with a faster shutter speed. The camera takes great pictures but I miss a lot of them because of the shutter speed. I would like a camera that can take a quick picture, has a good zoom ability and compact if possible. Any ideas would be appreciated.
woodpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2002, 4:10 PM   #2

What will you be using the camera for? Are you concerned with the size of the camera? What type of zoom power do you want? How much money do you want to spend? When you state quick camera, I think you are referring to shutter lag. Shutter lag is when you press the shutter button to take a picture it takes time before the picture is shot. You usually end up with a blurred picture. Is this what you mean when you state a quick camera?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 4:53 PM   #3

- I will use the camera for any picture opportunity.
- I don't want a huge camera as I would like something on the smaller size if possible as the Kodak was a drag to bring around.
- As for zoom power, I would say 3X and the possibility of getting a lens if needed.
- Price $400 slightly more if need be.
- I don't get blurred pictures so much as I just miss the picture. e.g. I try to take a picture of a jumping puppy/kitten and I get a picture of them as they are landing. The picture is fine but I missed the actual shot I was trying to take of them in the air. It does sound like lag as I think about it. I was trying to take a picture at a golf outing and could never get the shot as the club was impacting the ball. Thoughts and thanks tons for your help.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 5:21 PM   #4

I recommend the Olympus C4000, 4mp, 3X optical lens, and has manual and auto controls. This camera cost around $400 on the web. You can check www.dealtime for pricing and vendor ratings. You will be able to add filters and lens with the purchase of an adapter tube.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 9:37 PM   #5

It seems your biggest issue is shutter lag - the delay between pushing the shutter release and the picture being taken. The best predictor of low shutter lag in digicams is high price.

Have you tried the half-pressed shutter? Most of the lag is due to the camera focusing, setting exposure, setting white balance, sending out for piza, ... before releasing the shutter. Much of that delay can be avoided by half pressing the shutter. That will do most or all of those things so there is little lag in the second half of the press.

Some detailed reviews have the timing for different stages.

Given that normal human lag (reaction time) is one or two tenths of a second, shots like club meeting golf ball have to be anticipated. I've never been good at it, but the folks who are do practice at least a bit.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 8:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
It seems your biggest issue is shutter lag - the delay between pushing the shutter release and the picture being taken. The best predictor of low shutter lag in digicams is high price.
Not too convinced about that. The Fuji 3800 is cheap ($US300) and there is very little lag. Not quite as fast as say a Canon G3 or Fuji S602 ... but faster than the majority of digicams i tested.

Agreed on "half way down" .. takes the shot instantly if you do that.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 3:13 PM   #7

Tried the "half-way down" method but it didn't work as I was still missing pictures.

I like the Olympus from what I read on it at the dealtime site but I was hoping to stick with compact flash cards if possible since that is what I already have. Any other suggestions?
Old Dec 17, 2002, 3:33 PM   #8

woodpic
use the manual mode settings, set the ISO to 100 (default on most cameras) and set the shutter speed for 1/30th sec. If you are shooting action photos you will need to track and anticipate (Bill Drew's point). Check Photo of the Day for Dec 16, 2002:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/dpotd...2/12162002.jpg.
Taking action pictures like this one requires practice. The good thing about the digital is you do not have to print anything to get better.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 4:54 PM   #9

OK, I will change the settings and practice taking the shots. Thanks and does anyone have any opinions on the canon powershot s230? I thought it would be a good travel camera but thought I would ask?
Old Dec 20, 2002, 1:14 PM   #10

Default freezing action

If trying to catch a kitten in mid-air or the impact of a golf club on a ball are important, it sounds more like a camcorder is required !!!
If it MUST be a digital STILL camera, then I suggest you research ones that have a multiple shot capability: e.g. 5 pics in 2 secs. Then you can pick the one that is closest to what you were trying for, and erase the rest. I can do it with my FinePix 2800, but it is negatively impacted by the behaviour of the EVF (freezing as it focuses and as it takes the picture).
If shutter speed is important to you in ALL situations, you need one where you can either select the shutter speed/aperture and/or change the ISO.
A LOW priced camera with capability is the Canon A40 (2MP): it can take 2.5 pics/sec, has ISO selectable up to 400, you can select any appropriate shutter speed from 1/1500 to 15 full secs (or one of 2 apertures).
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote