Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:39 PM   #1

I have an Olympus Evolt. I want to use it to take landscape photos.

Any tips on which metering system to use in various conditions (blue sky, backlighting, overcast skys, etc)and how to avoid having my shots too under/over exposed?

Thanks!
strigbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:10 AM   #2

strigbed wrote:
Quote:
I have an Olympus Evolt. I want to use it to take landscape photos.

Any tips on which metering system to use in various conditions (blue sky, backlighting, overcast skys, etc)and how to avoid having my shots too under/over exposed?
First, be sure you've downloaded and installed the latest firmware revision (1.2). There were issues with the ESP exposure metering and white balance setting in the early production models.

Were I you, I'd try practicing with several settings; try the landscape mode on the mode dial, and if that satisfies you, fine. Otherwise, use aperture priority to get the most depth of field, with ESP metering. This should be okay, but in sum it depends on your lighting situation. If you have very high contrast scenes, you should use the histogram function to set an exposure that puts the highlights as far as possible at the right of the histogram without blowing them out. If you shoot RAW, you'll be able to recover more shadow contrast this way.
If you don't want to shoot RAW, then set for SHQ and try bracketing your exposures; look at the review screen after shooting and you'll see if you're blowing out any highlights.
The difference between sunlight and overcast is a white balance issue. Try on auto to begin with and see if that satsfies you (if you shoot RAW you can change the white balance later in post processing). If you don't care for the auto results, learn how to set the one-touch white balance for the scene. It only takes seconds (see p. 97 of the manual).

You might also sign on to the OLY SLR formum over at Digital Photography Review
(http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1022). There are many of us evolters there and you'll probably get more specific advice.

Good luck.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:30 PM   #3

Thanks Norm in Fujino,

I updated the firmware to 1.2 recently and admittedly have not noticed much difference, although I haven't taken many photos since the upgrade.

I always keep the ISO on Auto. Usually, I try to set the exposure by pointing at the blue sky so as to avoid over exposure. I then recompose and shoot. The result is usually an underexposed shot, which can usually be fixed in my editor, but I'd love to get it right by using the camera properly.

Also, my previous camera was an Olympus C-5050, which I found to provide a better exposed photo using the method indicated above. In other words, the photo wasn't as underexposed as it is when I shoot with the Evolt, which seems to drastically underexpose each shot. There's no happy middle with the Evolt.
strigbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 6:47 PM   #4

Consider a variable density filter. These reduce exposure of the sky by one to three stops (depending on the filter)and keep the sky from being "blown out". You can simulate this in Photoshop or Elements, but it's kind of tedious to do. Take a look at Coklin filters. These are rectangular filters that fit into a holder that attaches to your lens so you can slide the filter to adjust the location and amount of "darkening" of the sky.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote