Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 18, 2002, 8:54 AM   #11

First off, hi everyone -- 'tis my first post!

I also live in Canada. Last night, I took some night shots with my newly-acquired Canon A40. Since I'm a total newbie with digicams (and cameras alltogether) I wasn't too comfortable taking my digicam outside in subzero temperatures. All in all, my first nightshots pics weren't too bad. I'm still at the trial and error stage.

After reading that the camera can be used outside in cold weather, I'm relieved
Zenflasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 9:25 AM   #12

When I was stationed on the 38TH PARALLEL (border between South and North Korea), the winters were brutal. The golf glove slips easily into mittens or heavy gloves. You remove the heavy gloves take your picture and return your hand to the warm gloves. One of the things I learned about living there is that the hand has mositure on it when removed from those warm mittens and will freeze instantly to anything that is exposed to the cold. BTW, the panhandle of Texas, (around Amarillo) has brutual winters also. It is not uncommon for blizzards to come through with wind chill factors near 80 below. Of course, that is why I live in El Paso now where a cold front is temps in the mid 40s.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 1:26 PM   #13

Quote:
.. the panhandle of Texas, (around Amarillo) has brutual winters also. It is not uncommon for blizzards to come through with wind chill factors near 80 below.
Interesting. For winds under 60 miles/hour that means the actual temperature has to be below -30F (-34C): see http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill...hillchart3.pdf

http://www.ssec.org/idis/gates/State...al/amarilo.htm says that in Amarillo "the record minimum temperature, -16 degrees, occurred February 12, 1899" They also say, "The Amarillo area is subject to rapid and large temperature changes, especially during the winter months, when cold fronts from the northern Rocky Mountain and Plains states sweep across the level plains at speeds up to 40 m.p.h."
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 1:50 PM   #14

I have two words for you guys ... "Southern Hemisphere" :lol:
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 3:05 PM   #15

Ah, yes. A nice June day in McMurdo would be refreshing.

Temperature is relative - I spent July in Rio (their winter). When the temperature dropped to 80F, everyone put on sweaters.

In Northern Minnesota outside work tends to stop at 80F because it is to hot. That happens a few times per decade.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 5:40 PM   #16

I hear you...Cold is relative.
I thought it was really funny to see a sticker on the side of a roofing truck in florida saying: ...we work in the winter too...
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 9:11 AM   #17

We were having a discussion about this in the Oly-C-700 Yahoo group, and another thing that came up is batteries in the cold. While NiMhs are pretty good in cold, when the temperature both they and lithiums can drop to half capacity...but as the NiMhs have a lower operating voltage they can cut off sooner than the lithiums.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 10:07 AM   #18

I don't have this extreme cold problem you guys have, but is one solution to make up a remote (fused) NiMh pack, which you keep in your shirt pocket and connect to the ext. dc supply of your cam with a dc plug and wires?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote