Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 17, 2002, 9:44 AM   #1

Default Operating temperatures?

As an Aussie living in Canada concerned about the health of my digicam at freezing temperatures. The manual says not to use it below minus 20 degrees. Now does this mean an ambient of minus 20 or including wind chill?? For eg. it was minus 8 yesterday but the wind was howling so it was technically minus 22.

Snow is a novelty to the folks back home who’ve never seen the stuff, so I am desperate to take a few photos of the foot high snow and the snow covered trees …. maybe a few little movies too, but is it safe to use the camera at that temperature??
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2002, 11:12 AM   #2

It means ambient temperature - wind chill says something about how fast something left unprotected in the wind will reach that temperature.

The major issue to watch out for is condensation - always put your camera into a plastic bag BEFORE bringing it into a warm area and let it sit undisturbed for a few hours to warm up. Don't even think of breathing on your lens.

Another issue is batteries. NiMH don't do well in the cold, and some other types might not as well. If your camera uses AAs, get a set of disposable lithium for cold weather use (about US$12/4).
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 11:18 AM   #3

Thanks for the tip. I am going back home next week and it’s about 40 degrees so I’ll use the plastic bag trick.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 12:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
Now does this mean an ambient of minus 20 or including wind chill?? For eg. it was minus 8 yesterday but the wind was howling so it was technically minus 22.
To complement BillDrew’s info …
Wind chill has a meaning mostly for human ( well , and for other live organism ) since it stand for the “feeling” that organism perceive from the combination of temperature and wind speed.
For a inert body ( dead body, mechanic apparatus , etc … ) , of course, the temperature can’t go beyond the minus 8 , it just reach the minus 8 faster with the wind contribution.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 12:12 PM   #5

Sweet, I wondered how anyone up here used any camera out here if the wind chill was counted. It’s –20 a fair bit at night so it’s tricky.

Just discovered something …. at –4 degrees my hands go numb dammit!!! I can’t use the camera with gloves.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 2:21 PM   #6

The only solution I've found for cold hands is to wear mittens (not gloves) and put a hand-warmer in each mitten. A coat with big pockets so it is easy to slip the mittens into the pockets while shooting bare handed. My hands do get cold, but being able to put them into a nice warm spot quickly brings life back to them. (I like the iron-oxide disposable kind instead of ones that burn something like lighter fluid.) Works well for me down to about -20C/0F, but not at -40C/-40F
Old Dec 17, 2002, 2:24 PM   #7

One of the things that you can wear is golf gloves. Wear the gloves inside of your regular gloves. The golf gloves will give you protection from the wind and the flexibility to use your camera controls.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 3:30 PM   #8

Gloves will work fine for what Texans call cold, but not in the land where everyone can walk on water much of the year. The separate fingers presents to much surface area for heat loss.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 4:34 PM   #9

This morning i thought i would give a shot at taking some pre-dawn shots with my new oly 5050. I am not entirely sold on the minimum 8 degrees for an inert object theory, as i saw the windward side of the river i was at frozen, where as the lee ward side was running water. The tempetrature this morning, by the way was about -15 celcius; I did however have a very succesful morning shooting with no problems, except battery life loss, but i wasnt sure if it was fully charged. I hate to say it, but i am going to be testing in even lower tempeatures this winter.
But so far, down to -15 it worked great.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 7:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
Gloves will work fine for what Texans call cold, but not in the land where everyone can walk on water much of the year. The separate fingers presents to much surface area for heat loss.
TYeah exactly. In Sydney the coldest it gets is about 8 degrees celcius ..... waking up to minus 20 or whatever means the fingers get hammered and taking good photos is near impossible 'cos your hands are numb.