Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 28, 2005, 3:30 AM   #1

Bassically I am looking for a camera where I can preview the photo on the computer screen via usb or such and then when the photo looks great just click the button to actually take the photo. I find the little view lcd on the back of the camera so limiting as I cannot really see the photo in detail befopre i actually take it. In the Fuji range they call it Hyper utility capable. Not sure what they calll it in other cameras. Does anyone know of a cvheapewr type camera that does this?
Help would really be appreciated.
shedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2005, 4:59 AM   #2
Baz

Really ? Do you intend to cart your PC arround with the camera for this purpose? Who would do that?
Or maybe you are using the camera indoors, near the PC. In which case it could be feasible. Then one could connect the camera to a TV, and so view the camera images. But I think that will only view previous images in the camera.

Good luck.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 6:51 AM   #3

Hello, yes we are only taking photos of merchandise for sale online so we need to sometimes really zoom in and every detail counts. in the little LCD screen it is very hard to see all detail but if we could see it on the monitor of the pc it would be really great.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 8:15 AM   #4
Administrator

There are some exceptions, but the vast majority of non-DSLRcameras have a video out port that can be used to display everything you see on a camera's LCD (menus, focusing, etc.). A television set is generally used for this purpose (versus a computer monitor, which may require a different input type).

Although, if you have agraphics card in your computer that iscapable of capturing a video input and displayingit on your monitor in real time, it could also be used this way.

Using a TV to help with subject framing and focusing is certainly a use for this feature (and I've seen others use it this way before for smaller subjects).

If you read a camera's review here, you'll see a specifications page that includes a section called Interface. You'll see the types of interfaces provided there for a given model. Many newer models are also switchable between PAL and NTSC outputs (to handle regional differences in the type of signal your television needs).

Some models are manufactured to be region specific (i.e., you'll see either PAL or NTSC depending on where the camera is intendedforsale).

Note that a DSLR model cannot be used for this purpose, since they don't provide a live feed to the LCD, partly due toa sensor that's not designed to be rapidly sampled, andin part because the mirror is blocking the light path to the sensor until the shutter button is pressed. So, with a DSLR you can't output a live feed.

But, most non-DSLR models can be used in the way you want.

Note than some models also support an inteface to a PC via a USB port that could be used for your intended purpose, but you may not find the preview image quality to be good enough. This feature typically allows you to operate your camera from a PC (focusing, pressing the shutter, etc.), and allows capturing of the images directly to your PC's hard disk.Some Canon models now include remote capture software for this purpose.Someother models (for example, the Konica-MinoltaDiMAGE A1 and A2)have optional (not included, but available at additional cost) software for this purpose. Here is an example:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/g6_pg7.html

Due to the smaller viewing size of the image being captured using this type of software (typically displayed in a relativelysmall box within the capture software), you may find it too limiting for your intended purpose. In other words, the image being previewed on the computer monitor may be too small and of insufficientquality to use for determining accurate focus for closeups, unless used in conjunction with video out to a larger screen.

But, if you don't need remote control ability, MOST non-DSLR models will fit the bill... allowing you to use a Television for displaying the same thing you see on the camera's LCD for recording and playback of images.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 9:10 AM   #5

Thank you very much JimC, there is nothing like an expert to shed light on a subject :-)
I now know what to go for and that is a fantastic help
Thank you very much
Old Apr 28, 2005, 8:55 PM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Due to the smaller viewing size of the image being captured using this type of software (typically displayed in a relatively*small box within the capture software), you may find it too limiting for your intended purpose.* In other words, the image being previewed on the computer monitor may be too small and of insufficient*quality to use for determining accurate focus for closeups, unless used in conjunction with video out to a larger screen.
I agree with JimC's comments here. I would suggest that in a studiio environment it may be more productive to take a photo, download it to the computer, and inspect it. Then if you need to make changes do so and take another photo. I admit this can be time consuming but it may be the only way to get a real good look at the image.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:16 PM   #7

The Fujifilm S5100/5500 has the NTS/PAL output jack for video (TV). It works great for photo viewing in playback mode. I'm just not sure it it's "live" during photo shoot mode though. I'll have to check it out.

!!! I just checked and YES it is active in photo mode. It shows everything that is displayed in the EVF/LCD. Way Cool.

All you would have to do is have a TV with input jacks. :-)
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 3:45 AM   #8

The cannon seems to be a great idea with the RemoteControl feature. Our finished pictures are usually only up to 450 x 450 in size. Does anyone know how big the picture in the preview window (remnote control window) of the cannon software is?