Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 2, 2005, 11:17 AM   #1

Hello, I have a Nikon 7900 and I am using a 1g sd card. My ? is does it mattter if the camera is set to fine or normal? I am in Disney World and my card can take 200+ pictures in fine but in normal it will take 500+ pictures. I am sure I will be taking a lot of pictures so I would like to leave it in normal but I want them to turn out good, so should I put it in fine? I will just be printing 4x6 pictures so will it really make a difference? PLEASE HELP!
Thank you, jvan
jvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 11:50 AM   #2

Printing only 4x6 normal setting O.K.
If you want to crop the pictures go to fine.
Kev
KEV61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 4:18 AM   #3

I'd always go with fine. You've paid good money for that camera why use it at less than it's best settings? You never know when you're going to take that great picture that you want to blow up and put on the wall or a picture that you want to crop to improve. It'd be a pity if you couldn't get the quality you wanted because you wanted to save on memory.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 10:56 PM   #4

I think it depends at what resolution you are shooting at. If you are planning on 4x6 prints, and are at 4-6MP, normal is more than enough. If you have 2MP or less, I'd definently go with fine. Fine and normal are basically just different amounts of JPEG compression, where normal are more compressed.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 6:20 AM   #5

I am shooting at 7mp resolution. So normal would still make my pictures look good even if there might be one I want to make a 5 x7 or 8x10?

By the way, thanks for all the help!
Old May 4, 2005, 7:41 AM   #6

I'm sure they'll be OK. However I still say shoot at the best your camera can handle. JPG is a lossy compression. When you compress your pictures with JPG some information is lost, that's why you can get more on your cardin normal than in fine mode. Once lost you can never get it back again. Why pay for a 7Mp camera and then let the software discard some of the information you've recorded?
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 9:52 PM   #7

Your right I'll stay with the fine mode. Thanks for all your help!
Old May 5, 2005, 9:02 AM   #8

I would shoot at the highest quality mode and buy another memory card. Memory cards aren't THAT expensive and it's a good backup in case you lose it or fill it up or whatever...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote