Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 4, 2005, 7:15 AM   #11
Administrator

longn614 wrote:
Quote:
wow.. i just bought the package. Worth every penny. The printer is awesome... basic simple family friendly printer.. and the camera is perfect for point and shoot

Whats the perfect mp to print onto 4 x 6 paper? Cause I tried printing with my 5mp without any editing... doesnt seem right. Any ideas?

It doesn't hurt to send the full resolution image to the printer for smaller prints. You will want to crop the images to the correct aspect ratio (ratio of width to height) for a 4x6 inch print first. The software that comes with your printer probably allows you to do this (via a crop or trim function), so that you don't cut off part of the image you don't want to, or end up with uneven borders.

Quote:
And where do you guys think is the cheapest to buy photo paper?
Try Costco, and keep an eye out for sales at office supply stores.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 10:09 AM   #12

longn614 wrote:
Quote:
And where do you guys think is the cheapest to buy photo paper?
Be very aware that the quality of paper (and of course ink) has a great impact on your photo quality. Changing between Fuji and two kinds of Epson papers causes me all sorts of headaches with color rendition.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 9:59 PM   #13

I bought kirkland paper is that ok? ive heard good things about them. And also... will generic ink work ok? Never had any problems with it...
longn614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 10:27 PM   #14

longn614 wrote:
Quote:
I bought kirkland paper is that ok? ive heard good things about them. And also... will generic ink work ok? Never had any problems with it...
The only person who can answer that is you. If you're satisfied with the results, then that's what counts.
You'll notice soon enough if you're not.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 11:11 PM   #15

yup.. just got the kirkland paper. awesome. I recommend the kirkland paper and the Canon bundle. It was an awesome deal all and all. I love it. Thanks for all the help guys. How many 4 x 6 photots can u usually print out before running out of ink? You guys think using generic ink will ruin the printer? just curious.. cause u know how the manufacturer always gives that warning about not using anything besides their ink blah blah blah.
longn614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 12:27 AM   #16

90% of the time generic ink will work just as well as the stuff that's sold under the makers specific names. Sometimes not quite as well, but that's rare.

They tell you that you must use their ink because of course they want to make all of the money! But there is one thing to keep in mind - somewhere in the "very small print" that comes with a lot of these printers, it will have a statement that if you do use 3rd party inks, you will void the warranty. So, if you buy "brand X" cartridges, and one of them bursts inside the printer, they would be able to tell you did this if you sent it in and they would most likely charge you for the repair.

Considering the fact this isn't a $500+ printer though, I'd not worry about it too much. Ask in these forums and I'm sure many will have opinions on the best 3rd party inks to use.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote