Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 4, 2005, 7:54 AM   #1

Hi
I was wondering.... in the semi pro area...
wich camera would you buy? which lenses would you buy with the body? (like a 35-135, a medium wide angle with some telephoto)
For example... Canon EOS20D vs Nikon D70s

And in the pro area....
Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II vs Nikon D2X
With: a wideangle lens (like a 28 or 35) and a tele lens (like a 100-400mm).

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
ltcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2005, 8:07 AM   #2

For what kind of photography?

In each category you are asking to compare two completely different cameras. The 20D has been rated the best camera under $2500 and the D70s is just an improvement of the D70, not exactly a whole new camera. Here is a comparison of these two:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp..._d70s&show=all

In the other category you can see a side by side comparison here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...n_d2x&show=all

But you comparing a full frame camera that is rated better than film in quality against a smaller frame sensor in the Nikon for roughly half the price, so we come back to the question, what kind of photography are you going to be doing?
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 9:06 AM   #3
DBB

I always hate these kind of questions, and I always hate these kinds of answers...:lol:

Somehow, one is more "pro" than the other. All the named equipment will take wonderful pictures. My D2x will arrive shortely, and will take wonderful pictures assuming that I frame and set my camera right. Assuming that I place myself in the position to take these images right...

Right now, I shoot with two cameras, a Nikon D1x and an Olympus 520Z. The Olympus, armed with its two meg sensor, is used for landscapes, while the Nikon, with it's huge telephoto lenses is aimed at wildlife. They are BOTH pro cameras. Why? Because they are being used for professional purposes.

Is the Canon a better camera than the Nikons? Perhaps, but then the D2x is faster, and allows better use of manual lenses.

But the bottom line is what these machines are being used for and how skilled the man or woman behind the machine.

And, truth to be told I really love that little Olympus...:-)

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 12:43 PM   #4

i tought that the D70s was a direct competitor of the canon 20D, thats why i asked that.
Old May 4, 2005, 2:21 PM   #5

d70s is the same old d70 with a few extra features, it is still a 6mp camera with the same processor. It has a bigger LCD, 3fps. and it is still limited to ISO 200-1600. Other new features are faster startup, longerbattery life and upgrades to the on camera flash. In most fearures it is more of a competitor to the Rebel XT (8mp, 3fps iso 100-1600).

Here is a link to a comparison of the D70 to the RebelXT, just patch in the newer d70s updates to get an idea of how the new version stacks upnow http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...tml#sidebyside

The 20D is 8mp, 5fps, iso 100-3200.

IMHO: Nikon wimped out this year by introducing the d50 and the updated d70s instead of putting somethingcompletely new and up to date on the con/pro-sumer market.Like they did for the PRO market with the new d2's.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 3:27 PM   #6
DBB

I like the new high end Canon cameras. That being said there are a number of advantages to the D2x over the 1Ds mark II

It's a 5 frame per second camera, in 12 Megs, but more importantly it allows the use of the light meter for manaul lenses.

I can survice with the lower resolution :-)

In exchange I'll now be able to use the light meter for my telephoto's...

dave

DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 6:07 PM   #7

I'm not saying that one camera is better than the other, I was merely pointing out that they are two different machines, built for different purposes. Until we know what kind of photography you do, we can't make a suggestion. If I said get the 1Ds MkII, and you do sports, then I've done you wrong. But lets say that you do portraits, then I could say 1Ds MkII. It all depends...
Old May 4, 2005, 9:36 PM   #8

mostly sport action (but with the camera kinda close to the action, a 300mm lens will do fine)
Old May 4, 2005, 10:07 PM   #9

If you're going to do sports then I would seriously look at either the D2X or the 20D. They both have good frame rates, and the D2X even has a reduced resolution mode that give 6.8MP photos at 8 fps. As for the lens I don't have any 300mm lenses, and I learning how to read the MTFs still and don't want to misguide you, so maybe NHL can step in and recommend a lens or 2 for you.
Old May 5, 2005, 9:49 AM   #10

that is what i was talking about.
So, let's see what lenses do you recomend me