Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 25, 2002, 8:19 AM   #1

Default Rating Review Sites

I'm looking for dc review sites that give a rating on particular cameras (from the site's owner, not from users). I find many sites only have reviews that give product specs and not an actual rating (e.g. 5/5 stars, 7/10 points, etc).

Right now I need to find a camera, $500 max, 2-3 mpxl, 2-3 optical zoom, decent flash, and fairly user-friendly. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kyle
K J Snay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2002, 9:14 AM   #2

I wouldn't pay much attention to a numeric rating, in particular to a single rating for the camera. How much weight was put on the location of the tripod mount? Perhaps the reviewer has a strong bias toward Fuchia colored camera bodies and gives extra marks for that? You have to figure out what is important to you, and read about those features in several reviews.

Flash is a good example of review problems: all built in flash units are junk - some worste than others, but none really good. Being built in, they will always be small and close to the lens axis. So if you want decent flash, you will need an external unit.

How much weight should a reviewer give to being able to use an external flash? It is important to you, but not really important to me. So there is no way to incorporate that feature into a single number for the camera that would be right for both of us.

If the reviewer gave a single number, and all the inforation about how it was compiled, that would be really nasty reading. And it wouldn't help when comparing the reviews here with reviews at other sites since each would have their own weighting system.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2002, 9:26 AM   #3

Thanks Bill, right now I'm looking for some basic comparison information. I like the system that cnet uses (http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...ml?tag=topfive) because it's easy to receive a quick feel for the review. The quantitative measurement makes it easy to compare similar models and from there get more in-depth information. Steve's site here is good for the latter, but I find it hard to make initial comparisons on the reviews.

Cheers.
Old Jun 25, 2002, 9:35 AM   #4

Default Lots of cameras fit your requirements...

There are numerous cameras which fit your requirements. Most of Canon's small cameras - a number of Olympus and Fuji. Is there any particular size limitation?

If not, one of the better deals in a 2 megapixel camera today is the C2100UZ olympus 2.1 megapixel with 10X optical stabilized zoom - maybe the best image of any 2 megapixel camera - widely available for slightly under $500 U.S.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2002, 9:48 AM   #5

Quote:
[i] Is there any particular size limitation?
Thank you Lin. No particular size limitation. As you mentioned, there are quite a few cameras that fit my profile so that's why I'm trying to find some sort of index rating that gives me a good place to start.

I heard good things about the Canon PowerShot S30 but I'm sure there are others out there. The camera will be used for school so user-friendliness is a nice feature. I don't even need built-in video capabilities, just something that takes a good picture, good speed, etc. Low lighting shots are always good but I'm finding an external flash is usually necessary for this.

I'll check out the Olympus you mentioned

Cheers.

Kyle
Old Jun 25, 2002, 1:46 PM   #6
lg

CNET has what you are asking for, but I strongly agree with Bill that you shouldn't give much weight to the numeric ratings. If I had depended solely on CNET's rating of the digital camera I ended up buying, I may have made another choice.

I would suggest that the ratio of satisfied users for a given camera to the qualified complaints about it is a more useful tool in making a purchase decision than any single review.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2002, 1:53 PM   #7

Quote:
I would suggest that the ratio of satisfied users for a given camera to the qualified complaints about it is a more useful tool in making a purchase decision than any single review.
Yeah, I look at that as well. For example, CNet gives the Canon PS S30 a 97% approval rating by nearly 280 users. That seems pretty good to me. I'd still like to see how it stacks up to other comparable cameras in this price range.

Thanks for the input. Cheers.
Old Jun 29, 2002, 6:54 PM   #8

Default Review sites

I have found that the computer type sites such as C/Net do most of the reviews off the white paper from manufacter, that method is about as useless as a digtal zoom. Also the Consumer reviews at most sites have become just as useless. I Like to Read the negitive reviews on products I have owned. Seems the majority of the negative reviews are from people who do not read thier owners manuels. Steve is one of the few people who does an excelent review.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote