Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 5, 2005, 11:36 PM   #1

I don't mean how to use the camera, that's what the instructions are for. I just mean where can I learn photography theory like composition suggestions, are there rules about expsore settings, etc.

Is there a good book? A good website?
crash331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2005, 12:33 AM   #2

Not to be rude, but it might've been good to think about that before you shopped for any camera.

. . . having said that, though, I've heard they make impressive doorstops. :O

(hint: learn to Google. Input "photography, tutorial, composition, exposure . . . " etc).

Just about every manufacturer has tutorial sites, and there are bazillions of freelance ones as well.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 3:17 AM   #3

Not to be rude, but no need to get an elitist attitude.

I had a Powershot s50 for a while, but used it as a P&S, even though it also had the full auto like the XT. I already know the basics of composing and I know a little about exposure settings, but I just wanted to read up on it to reinforce.

And I know nothing about lenses, which I guess I also need to read up on now.

Old May 6, 2005, 4:28 AM   #4

crash331 wrote:
Quote:
Not to be rude, but no need to get an elitist attitude.
Sorry if you thought it elitist, but when you come on with a message with the extremely general title "bought an expensive camera, now what do I do with it?" it sounds suspiciously like you've not done any homework and are relying on us "elitists" to do it for you.

Googling with "composition, photography, tutorial" turns up a few:
http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolo...ition_tips.php
http://photoinf.com/
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US
http://www.dcviews.com/tutors.htm
(and about 6,000 more).

Quote:
And I know nothing about lenses, which I guess I also need to read up on now.
There are lots more messages in the archives here on that topic, particularly if you check the Canon dSLR board. I know nothing about Canon lenses, either, so we're in the same boat on that one. Good luck.
Old May 6, 2005, 7:21 AM   #5

My first recommendation is to go to a local library if you have a decent one and start looking through there. Typically I find I pull bits and pieces from different books and given the prices many photography books cost the library is a great place to start. The good news is the basic concepts of photography haven't changed from film to digital - so all the old books based on film still apply to your XT. Really the only differences from a conceptual point of view are: you don't have film types (like Velvia), digital is more concerned with white balance and with digital you have much better post-processing capabilities. But, all the topics you mentioned are unchanged from film.

One book in particular that might be useful:

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson - I also believe there is an updated version for both film and digital although I have not seen it. Learning about proper exposure should probably be your first step and the most important. Once you understand those concepts then start looking at books in the library or book store that deal more with the artistic aspect.

But, of course, practice, practice, practice - it's a great thing to be able to take 700 shots - be able to look at them and learn and never have to print them out.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 10:54 AM   #6
Administrator

Also see the information at:

www.shortcourses.com

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 11:56 AM   #7

yeah, sorry to be so newbish and defensive. i was tired when i posted most of that. anyway, i just wanted some good stuff to read about how photography works. i know a good bit about art, so that is pretty much covered, but I just wanted to know like tips and tricks with stuff that is new to me with the SLR like apeture and shutter tricks, focus, lens, what to do, what not to do, etc.

thanks for all the links. im at work now, but i will read them when i get home.
Old May 6, 2005, 12:21 PM   #8

...and I'm sorry to have been so elitist or whatever. I was feeling a bit anxious about some work-related stuff. Hope I didn't scare anyone off.

Old May 6, 2005, 10:36 PM   #9

Well I got to use my camera for about 40 mins after work this afternoon. I took about 20 pictures and wound up with about 2 good ones. I was taking some pictures of a dandelion and had the aperture set to f/3.5 then I switched to landscape shots and forgot to change the aperture. I am too used to point and shoot with my S50..lol.

Anyway, I picked up some photo paper after than and printed out a picture of the dandelion. Looks pretty nifty. I'm gonna have to buy an album and make a portfolio or something.

Do any of you know what lens would go good with this? I got the kit that comes with the 18-55mm. Some people say to get the 50mm since it is only $60, but wouldn't the kit lens do the same thing since it covers 50mm? Again, I know NOTHING about lenses. This is the first time I have ever had to deal with them. I would like a 200mm lens for some close-ups, but I can't find one on a poor mans budget.
Old May 7, 2005, 3:05 AM   #10

Hi Crash,

I have just finished a 15 page "instruction booklet" for DSLR beginners. You can see it here...

http://www.all-things-photography.co...otography.html

Hope it helps and good luck.

Nick
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote