Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 10, 2005, 2:03 PM   #11

MrPogo wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, it really does depend where you're buying the camera from. Some are excellent, even covering accidental damage (so if you drop and break the camera they'll give you a brand new one), whereas others don't offermuch more than your standard consumer rights, and are a complete rip-off.
Research the prices carefully before going for one of these "all inclusive" warranties from a store however. Example: When I bought a Canon 10D, Wolf/Ritz wanted well over $200 for two years worth of "full"coverage. I wound up buying it from another store and it cost just under $100 for a 4 year warranty. Then, I used my home insurance company for a floater policy that covers theft, droppage, etc. Their cost? Around $2.25 a month is all. VERY reasonable.

So shop around.

Also, if you're a Sam's Club member - their selection isn't the largest but they have cheap extended warranties, and will just give you store credit for a new camera if one dies.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 9:19 PM   #12

Don't forget that many charge cards will automatically double the manufacturer's warranty on all non-business purchases, up to one additional year. (There are some exceptions, such as vehicles and other big-ticket items). So, you can get an extended warranty not just on your camera but on almost everything you buy if you use the right card. Some card companies include this feature with their basic card,while others require you to obtain their Gold or Platinum card.Of course, you have to follow their procedures and make sure you have all the correct documentation such as the original copy of the manufacturer's warranty, etc. Based on the company, sometimes you have to register the purchase with them.

Very few people actually follow up and make a warranty claim against their credit card company, so they have no problem offering a neat-sounding feature like this. However, if need to exercise the extended warranty and you are willing to go to the trouble of jumping through their hoops, it WILL be worth it.
Daniel T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 10:00 PM   #13

Staples will also replace your camera if it has been physically damaged. (i.e. - dropped) They will also fix or replace a broken LCD. This means you're actually buying something that first year compared to a lot of other warranties that only cover "manufacturing defects".

Circuit city's is the same, and they are also easy to work with. (at least at my local store)
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 2:02 AM   #14

Somebody who works at Staples posted at another site that if your camera is under $200 you will have a very easy time getting it replaced if something is wrong. If your camera is worth more then Staples gets more sticky in replacing it. http://forums.redflagdeals.com/showt...77#post1631777
brendak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 5:07 AM   #15

According to the link I posted, the only plan Staples offers for digital cameras is the tech support and protection plan. The product replacement plan does not apply to digital camera of any price...says so right in the plan - read it...By the way, the Staples furniture protection plan does not apply to digital cameras, either.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 9:43 AM   #16

I think there may be a difference between Staples warranty in theUS and Staples Warranty in Canada--the link I posted was for the Canadian store. Staples.ca doesn't sell their warranty online, you have to go in to a store to purchase.
brendak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 8:59 PM   #17

brendak2000 wrote:
Quote:
... The camera I'm buying is worth about $650 Canadian ...
Likely you will be able to buy a camera with the same capabilities
for half to two thirds that amount in a year or two. So you will be
paying CN$100 to insure a camera that is worth about CN$400 at the
end of the manufacturer's warrentee. Do you think there is a 25 percent
chance of failure? I'd say that is very unlikely.

I'd also say you would be better off putting the money into lottery
tickets - a much better chance of winning with that sucker bet than
with an extended warrentee.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 1:36 PM   #18

I guess we can all agree to disagree on this topic. I can't count how many emails I get from folks via my site about their cameras dying on them just after the regular 1 year warranties expire, and hear of the extreme costs the makers charge to repair them.

In the grand scheme of things, sure, the percentage of cameras that fail are very low in the first year or two of ownership, compared to those who have no problems. But if YOU are one of those few, it doesn't help to know the statistics.

Also as mentioned, your budget matters. Are you a photo enthusiast but really stretching the budget to get that camera? If so, just a little more for the peace of mind of a warranty may be worth it. Are you however, a six figure income sort of person for whom a costly repair is simply an inconvenience as opposed to a "hardship"? If you fall into that category, then no, extra money for a warranty may not be worth playing the odds. No one answer fits all people.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 9:10 PM   #19

atlantagreg wrote:
Quote:
... No one answer fits all people.
Very true.

All insurance is a statistically loosing proposition for everyone but the insurance company.
Do I have my house insured? -> for sure!
Do I buy insurance for my toys? -> nope.

If my house burns down, I am in real trouble without insurance.
If my camera breaks, I won't be happy, but I also won't be living in a carboard box.

I can have more fun spending the money that would go for insurance
(e.g., a nice memory card) than I would have looking at a piece of paper
with no artistic merit whatsoever.

It is a balance of a smallish guarenteed current happiness against a
(highly) improbable big unhappiness. If the big unhappiness
is something you cannot withstand, buy the insurance. Otherwise, don't.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote