Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 7, 2005, 10:52 AM   #1

I'm looking for opinions on just how worth while extended warranties are for digital cameras. The camera I'm buying is worth about $650 Canadian and an extended warranty (depending on where I buy the camera from) is about $99 for 2 or 3years (again depending on where I actually get the camera from).

Do you think the extended warranty is worth the price? I think Canon has a manufacturers warranty of 1 year anyway. So is it worth it to pay an extra $100 and have 2 more years of warranty or is anything that's likely to go wrong probably going to go in the first year anyway?

All thought appreciated!

(The warranties I'm looking at are Futureshop, Bestbuy, Radioshack, and Henry's by the way if that makes any difference)
brendak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2005, 11:22 AM   #2

Personally, I don't put much faith in extended warranties. Usually, if something goes wrong with electronics, it goes within the first 3 months. If I were spending $10,000.00 on a camera, I might consider it. In your case, you are paying $650, and looking at increasing the price of your camera by $100. Now you are paying $750 for the same camera. Is that a manufacturer's warranty, or a third party? How reliable is the third party? Will they be there two years from now? Is there a deductable? Do you have to pay to ship it somewhere? Do you think that if you bring the camera back they will tell you that you must have done something wrong, or that condition isn't covered under the warranty?

Most extended warranties are huge money makers for the store - almost pure profit.

If you feel the need for an extended warranty, buy it where you intend to buy your camera. Negotiate the price of the camera with the extended warranty. Offer them $675 for the package and see how they react. They'll probably go for it, rather than let you walk out the door.

Good luck.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 12:43 AM   #3

Popular consumer reporters on TV will tell you they'rea waste of money, and this is not always the case.Those consumer reporters make 6 figure incomes - they can afford to just pay for a repair or buy a new camera!

For things like inexpensive tv sets, VCRS, etc, they are. Even for less expensive digicams they may not be worth the added cost. However, considering most camera makers START charges at $180+ to fix anything on a camera, for more expensive cameras it can make sense.

If it's from a store like Circuit City, then most likely if the camera dies they'll just give you store credit and you can buy something else. Like someone else said though, be leery of 3rd party warranties from internet sales sites - ask for ALL details on those. Remember even the store warranties only cover stuff that dies on the camera. If you drop it, it's yours. For that, check your local insurance company as they offer cheap "floater" policies on stuff like camera gear, which only costs a few dollars a month, and this will cover theft, or even you dropping it.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 9:35 AM   #4

If I decide to buy a warranty it will definately be from whichever store I buy the camera from.

We have very few places to purchase cameras locally so that's why I was considering buying the camera online. I did just find out that Staples (we happen to have a local Staples) sells an "excellent" extended warranty. I'm going to go down anc check out what exactly their warranty covers and how much it costs.

I was also told that BestBuy and Futureshop have really bad warranties (or at least are really bad at covering their warranties) so I'm a little leary on getting the camera from there now.

I'm still unsure as to whether to actually buy the warranty or not--on one hand I know that most things that are going to go wrong will probably do so within the manufacturer warranty time but on the other hand if something Does break at the 1.5 year mark it sure would be nice to not have to worrry about the high cost of repairs!

The house insurance add on is a really good idea too--I'm going to check that out!

Old May 8, 2005, 10:51 AM   #5

Yeah, it really does depend where you're buying the camera from. Some are excellent, even covering accidental damage (so if you drop and break the camera they'll give you a brand new one), whereas others don't offermuch more than your standard consumer rights, and are a complete rip-off.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 11:00 AM   #6

So do you know the names of any of the really good companies?
Old May 8, 2005, 12:00 PM   #7

According to Staples.com, a 2 year extended warranty for a digital camera over $200 would cost $49.99. This would cover 100% part and labor coverage from date of purchase (effectively giving you one additional year, assuming the camera manufacturer gives you a one year warranty). The Staples plan also provides for express shipping, although they don't define what 'express' shipping means. There is also about 10 pages of legal mumbo-jumbo there, if you care to read up about it (I didn't).

This might not be a bad idea - depending on their price for the camera...which might be $200 more than you can get it for elsewhere. I believe they have a price matching policy, though. Check it out.

the Hun
Old May 8, 2005, 6:43 PM   #8

Staples does price match---at least here in Canada, but I can't find any extended warranty info on the Canadian site. Guess I'll have to go in to the store and csee what they offer.
Old May 8, 2005, 7:25 PM   #9

Here you are:

http://staples.com/Catalog/Browse/sk...al%252BCameras

(I hate long links)

the Hun
Old May 9, 2005, 12:21 AM   #10

Thanks for the link! I wonder if staples canada has the same warranty or if it's different here. Somebody told me that you can't purchase extended warranties online at Staples in Canada--only in store. I guess I'm gonna have to go in and ask them for a printout so I can read up on it and decide if it sounds good or not.