Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 21, 2002, 10:30 AM   #1

Default Monitor and printer colour calibration

Hi to all

I wonder if anyone out there can recommend a good cost effective way of calibrating monitor and printer output. After setting up my monitor, i cannot (still) get a print to match what is on screen.

Printer is a Canon S9000, monitor is an LG Flatron.

Happy Xmas to all

Jon
numedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2002, 11:02 AM   #2

Hi, I've been taking some interest in Colour Management. This is what I've found so far:

The ultimate route is to measure your monitor with a colorimeter, to put a precision 'target' (colour photo with precise colour patches on it), then generate with software an ICC correction file for the monitor, and a similar file for the printer (the photo's known colours are compared with the scanned image to determine the variances). This 'ultimate' customised technique requires the measuring instrument and software sold by companies such as Praxisoft.

The next level of precision down, is to set up the basic gamma/brightness/contrast settings using Adobe Gamma on your PC or Praxisofts free download. Then get 'default' ICC files from the manufacturer of your monitor and scanner. A photo target is handy to check the scanner output on the monitor against the target for these default profiles. Unfortunately, if you're still not happy you must generate your own ICC files. The targets ship free with CorelDraw or get one from Praxisoft.

The lowest level of precision, is do nothing about ICC but set up your monitor display.

I go for the middle level. Have a look at QImage Pro. It is one of the few progs I've found which allows you to input the ICC files from cam to printer and give a preview - handy to preview pics for web offline printing services. My cam doesn't have a specific ICC file. I use a generic sRGB one and I'm happy with the matches.

I've just realised, is your LG Flatron an lcd Monitor??? If it is, ICC profiles exist and it's still not right - I'd give up and get a tube - search my earlier posts on lcd monitors, or message advocates of lcd's! Try a new thread e.g 'Getting the right colours on my lcd monitor'

We enjoy constructive, helpful, lively debate on this Forum!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 6:52 PM   #3

Thank you for your helpful reply. Firstly, the monitor in question is a 19 inch CRT , im still not to convinced with lcds as yet (for the money)

I have got an icc profile for this monitor, so i think that a spyder system (colorvision) may be the solution.

>>I go for the middle level. Have a look at QImage Pro. It is one of the few progs I've found which allows you to input the ICC files from cam to printer and give a preview - handy to preview pics for web offline printing services. My cam doesn't have a specific ICC file. I use a generic sRGB one and I'm happy with the matches. <<

Thank you for this info. I will check this out before anything else.

Regards

Jon
numedium is offline   Reply With Quote