Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 9, 2005, 1:25 AM   #1

I need some opinions... I'm looking to replace a stolen camera. I've done my research, and have narrowed my options down, but I'm now stuck on a big question -- what's more important, camera size or optical zoom? I'm new in the digital world, and am debating pros and cons of a camera that I can toss in my pocket and go anywhere, or one that's going to be a little more cumbersome but can get me closer to my shot. Thoughts?

Thanks for the responses! I'm a traveller and I really appreciate being able to zoom into my subjects to get the 'perfect shot,' but I backpack, so size is important. At this point, I'm not doing too much action stuff, but the everyday point and shoot credit card camera would be handy.... Ahhhh! Help!
tappingcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2005, 3:54 AM   #2

It's hard to answer without knowing more about what kind of pictures you plan to take. I like the super zooms since I take a lot of sports shots, some from large stadiums' bleacher seats.

That said, the Olympus c-765 is pretty compact, has a 10X optical zoom, and takes decent pidtures although without image stabilization.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 9:00 PM   #3

robbo wrote:
Quote:
It's hard to answer without knowing more about what kind of pictures you plan to take. I like the super zooms since I take a lot of sports shots, some from large stadiums' bleacher seats.

That said, the Olympus c-765 is pretty compact, has a 10X optical zoom, and takes decent pidtures although without image stabilization.
Yep. Yep. What he said. i shoot high school softball and use a sony F717 with 5X zoom and the add on lens that gets me up almost to 9X. But if your just shoot'n around the house you may not want to lug the bigger camera around. I don't. I pack my Minolta G400 (4 mp with a 3X) always. Goes everywhere with me. But he zoo... I take the F717. I did read a artical or post someplace about how zoom is more important then MP. But it only applies when your at full zoom.

So... It's up to you. And whatcha gonna shoot...

Good Luck
dale
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote