Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 10, 2005, 9:47 PM   #1

I am shooting in manual mode and the metering keeps telling me the scene is too dark. It doesn't say I have correct exposure until I go to like 10" f/5.6. I go ahead and take the picture at around 1/60 f/11 and it exposes fine.

Also, what does the * button do? It fires a small flash and the manual says it stores the flash settings, but I can't seem to figure it out.
crash331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2005, 4:13 AM   #2

Errr...... need to know what flash and camera you are talking about.!

Sam
SamShiell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 6:33 AM   #3

Well, not knowing what camera/flash you are using, here are a couple things to consider. First, many cameras in manual mode will not consider that you are using a flash (or Av or Tv or P for that matter) - so the camera will often tell you you are going to be underexposed - you should be able to ignore that. The flash output should adjust - try taking the picture at say f5.6 and 1/60 and see how it comes out.

As for the * button - what this allows you to do in many cases is take a flash meter reading based upon the center focus of the camera - the camera then remembers that meter reading so you can recompose and shoot. This is very usefull when your subject is very light or dark compared to the surrounding area - often you want the flash to meter off something neutral so the whole scene will be exposed properly - a perfect example is a bride and groom in black tux and white dress - you don't want your flash to meter off either outfit so you might use the * to meter off a face or other neutral color in the scene then recompose and shoot. You won't see your camera react any differently with regards to telling you something is going to be properly exposed - it will simply force an adjustment to the flash output when the flash fires.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 8:34 AM   #4

Well, regarding the camera, I guess you guys didn't see the subheading of the thread -- Digital Rebel XT.

The * button is Flash Exposure Lock. No, when you use exposure metering, you will not get accurate results without using FEL... the camera does not assume the flash will fire.

FYI:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...305355#p305355

and the links inside that thread.

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 8:45 AM   #5

perdendosi wrote:
Quote:
No, when you use exposure metering, you will not get accurate results without using FEL... the camera does not assume the flash will fire.
Actually two different points there - using FEL is completely different than 'the camera does not assume the flash will fire'. FEL does not force the camera to assume the flash will fire. All it does is force metering to occur from the center point. It is useful when you want your meter reading to be taken from a specific point which is often different than the center point of your composed photo.

Even with FEL, the camera will still think you are not using a flash when it tells you whether or not your exposure is set correctly. The important thing is, the flash knows what power to use so when you take the shot the exposer will be right. The point is - ignore what the camera is telling you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 9:35 AM   #6

ya, it's a Rebel XT with built in flash.
crash331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 1:10 PM   #7

Certainly JohnG is right. Thanks for the clarification.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote