Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 11, 2005, 3:01 PM   #1

I deleted my original questions. Since Rinniethehun answer my question. I don't want to start another thread so I deleted my original questions so there would not have confussion. please look at the third reply on this thread for what i am looking for.

and thanks rinniethehun

Lalala123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2005, 4:59 PM   #2

Lalala123,

Yes, brand does matter. You, of all people should realize this after you bought that piece of junk on ebay. You ask if the EX-Z57 is a good camera, but compared to what? The only criteria you specified is that it has a large LCD. You really need to tell us what features you want in your camera. A large LCD is nice, but this camera does not have a viewfinder. Therefore, if you are taking pictures outside on a bright sunny day, and you can't see the LCD, you probably won't be able to frame your shots very well.

Personally, I think $300 is a lot to pay for this particular camera. It doesn't have a viewfinder, it utilizes a proprietary Lithium-Ion battery (which I find to be a disadvantage, especially when you have to drag a charging cradle around with you to recharge the battery, and you can't use the camera while it is recharging), it has a low resolution and slow speed video mode, and it only has a 3X zoom. Maybe these things don't matter to you, but we can't know that unless you tell us. It may be a great camera...it's small and compact, it has 5 MP, etc. If you must have a very small, compact camera, it might be a good buy for you. Just let us know.

Please don't paste an entire review, as it justs wastes bandwidth. Give us a brand and model number...maybe even a link, and we'll be glad to help you.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 5:12 PM   #3

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Lalala123,

Yes, brand does matter. You, of all people should realize this after you bought that piece of junk on ebay. You ask if the EX-Z57 is a good camera, but compared to what? The only criteria you specified is that it has a large LCD. You really need to tell us what features you want in your camera. A large LCD is nice, but this camera does not have a viewfinder. Therefore, if you are taking pictures outside on a bright sunny day, and you can't see the LCD, you probably won't be able to frame your shots very well.

Personally, I think $300 is a lot to pay for this particular camera. It doesn't have a viewfinder, it utilizes a proprietary Lithium-Ion battery (which I find to be a disadvantage, especially when you have to drag a charging cradle around with you to recharge the battery, and you can't use the camera while it is recharging), it has a low resolution and slow speed video mode, and it only has a 3X zoom. Maybe these things don't matter to you, but we can't know that unless you tell us. It may be a great camera...it's small and compact, it has 5 MP, etc. If you must have a very small, compact camera, it might be a good buy for you. Just let us know.

Please don't paste an entire review, as it justs wastes bandwidth. Give us a brand and model number...maybe even a link, and we'll be glad to help you.

the Hun

rinniethehun

Thanks for replying.

What I am looking for is something that is small and compact. Itdoes not have to be as small and copact as EX-Z57, but not too huge. I will only be useing the camera for taking pictures of my friend my famliy and that is about it. I am not looking for a long range camera. Just a camera for everyday life that can produce good qulity pictures. It does not have to be top of the line camera eighter. Please give me some suggestions .

I am a total nob when it comes to camera, I had never bough any types of cameras before, untill the one from ebay.

I will delete my original post.

Lalala123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 11:36 PM   #4

Compact cameras are never the "top of the line" models - there is only so much you can cram into a tiny package.

Take a look at these compacts:

Fuji E-550
Olympus D-595
Canon A-520

They all have pros and cons, but they all are relatively compact and should provide sufficient quality and features for your inteded use. Check out some reviews, not just on this site, but also on others. Look at some sample photos, taken by each of these cameras. Go to a store where you can pick them up and play with them...really good if you could see all three models next to each other so that you could compare.

Good luck.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote