Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 12, 2005, 10:57 AM   #1

Hi all,

Just downloaded the trial version of Elements. I find it very sloooow.

It takes ages to load up, even longer to browse the pictures I appreciate I'm using an FZ20 5Mp, but is it always this slow? Is photoshop Cs any better for speed?

Woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2005, 11:30 AM   #2

What computer are you using? Photoshop is very memory hungry you need at least 256Mb to get any speed out of it and preferably 512Mb.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 11:59 AM   #3

Athlon 2.5mhz with 512mb ram 60gig hd, so it's not slow believe me!

Should be noted I don't have any other probs and Picasa2 runs reasonbly fast on it.

Woody
Old May 12, 2005, 7:52 PM   #4

PE 2 is a much bigger program than Picasa. I don't think you can expect it to load as fast. Yes, it loaded slowly on my laptop, too, maybe even slightly more slowly than Photoshop CS and definitelymore slowlythan Paint Shop Pro 9. However, I think it's a good program, capable of many Photoshop like tasks for a fraction of the cost. There is a PE 3, now isn't there? Maybe it loads faster.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 7:49 PM   #5

I am assuming you mean AthlonXP 2500+, which actually runs at 1.83Ghz. It should run fine on that. All Adobe programs take a while to load, usually 10-20 seconds. This is normal. Is your hard drive nearly full? This can cause slowness, as well as a fragmented hard drive. Try cleaning up spyware and defragging and see if it runs faster. Good luck!
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 4:54 PM   #6

It all depends on what else you have rumming in the background wether it is slow or not.512 isnt that much now a days with people running 1 or 2 gigs.I would up your memory to 1 gig or make sure you dont have alot running in the background.PSE2 is a fantastic program.I used it for over a year before I got CS and it is easy to learn on all you have to do is play with it.
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 5:00 PM   #7

Thanks for all your answers. I actually run spybot and adaware very regularly as well as NAV and defrag, so it's not that. Yes it is the 2500+ Athlon.

I suppose it is a good point about the memory, you tend to forget how things move on and with the sheer size of images used it certainly wouldn't do any harm to upgrade that aspect of my system.

I've actually got a copy of Photoshop 7 comingfrom a friend whos just upgraded to CS9, so it will be interesting to see what thats like.

In the mean time I'll keep smiling. (Big clenched tooth grin!)

Cheers

Woody