Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 27, 2002, 12:26 AM   #11

ask steve and see what he thinks of this list, it might not be on ur wish list, there could be a full of carp in ur wish list which no one knows about, u might get a camera that isnt on my list and proply u wished that u would get a camera from my list. u never know. there full of crapy cameras out there. and one day ull come aross them and buy them, ull be so sorryed that u never checked my list.

u shouldn't say that my list is ronge or if u think of it, cuz have u ever research them to say my calculations r ronge?. u go and have a reasearch. and i wouldnt put up this list if i thought that list wasnt corect.
mdorani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 1:09 AM   #12

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curious list! I can't imagine the scientific research involved to reach these conclusions. I don't recall many of those cameras being on my wish list (or anyone else that I know).
I'm not sure which post you are responding to - but the ones I mentioned were all reviewed - many by Steve right here. You probably were not into digital cameras when some of these were popular. All that I listed are professional level instruments which were the best available in their day and class for under $3000 (except for the $1500 Olympus E-100RS).

My first digicam was a Kodak DCS-460 (retail list $39,000) which I paid just under $30,000 for. It paid for itself in less than a year as a replacement for nearly all my 35mm color film work. Today, better six megapixel professional quality is available for under $7,000 (DCS-760) and amazing quality and features are available in very reasonably priced digicams.

I still have the DSC-770 and E-100RS and they are still the best 1.5 megapixel instruments I've used. I don't have access to as many as some in some stores - but I do have over 20 digicams ranging from consumer to top-of-line professional and have lots of samples if anyone wants to see what's possible with a good quality 1.5 megapixel sensor.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 1:44 AM   #13

you dont remember what your dad was selling them for do you?
lipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 2:40 AM   #14

lipton, u dont make sence.

Lin Evans:

Dude!! $30,000 what the hell u proply can buy a good car with that much.

yeh and i think ur right with the old cameras being the best. and very high in price to. i dont think they still sell cameras for 30 grand. now there $2000- for good ones

and they take lots of space on the memory card, for a 2mp one picture will be proply 2mb in the olden days
Old Dec 27, 2002, 3:40 AM   #15

sorry I was wondering the price of sec hand cameras in aus ops:
lipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 4:37 AM   #16

well in Australian money, it depends on which camera. if the camera is been the the store for a long time it will get cheaper. proply a sony p51 is $600 AUD new, and used is proply 500. depends on the conndition. and stuff. well sometimes when someone wants to buy from him he asks " how much u want the camera for" and then the buyer replies and my dad thinks about it.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 6:04 AM   #17

I take every reviewer's comments with a grain of salt, and those who don't do it professionally with a pound of salt...as for those who can't write proper english (assuming that it is their language) have no credentials, writing one word and one sentence "reviews" and testing a limited number second-hand items, a ton of salt!

I go only by what I like, not what someone else likes. When I want to buy something, I might go through (if available) 5-20 reviews (depending on the cost of the item and how much I already know about the item) and then average them out...but many times the reviewers totally disagreed with my own evaluations.

For instance, with cars some reviewers have said that one may be the most comfortable car they've ever been in, but I've gotten into that same type of car and felt totally uncomfortable.

I'm sure those who take reviews as doctrine will thank you, but I think most are already here are happy with what they've got and see no reason to switch, but if they do wish to switch they should use their own experience to see what's next for them...having my own digital for almost 5 months now I've found a lot of shortcommings that the reviewers never thought of (if they did, they didn't write about them) that I would try to avoid with my next digicam now that I have experience with them.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 8:48 AM   #18

Just have to wonder how did you go about testing each camera? I know many review sites have setups to get all variables the same for a series of test shots. They compare true colors, detail in fine lines, and several other things.
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 9:59 AM   #19

...and with a simple image search on Google I found "cat-chinchilla-face"

www.peachkin.com/pics/cat-chinchilla-face.jpg

Just an observation ....had a long sleepless night and was bored at the same time.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 5:26 PM   #20

koruvs:

yeh u like my sample picture of my face. cuz i real didnt have a white cat, so i got it from google.

MIDACL:

pretty easy i took some pictures in marco, potrit, landscape..
and those things on the site r all bull [email protected], i got one of my cameras from http://www.imaging-resource.com/
and it looked nothing like the samples there.

Mike_PEAT:

acctually i kinda did this professuanly, on each camera i wasted about a day, im not forcing u to buy from my list. im just showing,
and i bet u havent tested 50 cameras to say all that. if u have, u see how hard it is