Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 25, 2002, 11:06 PM   #1

Default Need good low light camera.

Looking for good low light flash digital camera. I have a FinePix 2800z. I am very disappointed with the indoor flash pictures. Like very very disappointed. We take family shots. I'm looking for a good all around camera which takes good indoor flash shots. Any help is greatly appreciated.
8)
jnuttallphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2002, 1:42 AM   #2

Here's the bad news..most digicams take terrible 'low-light' pics, they are grainy and usually out of focus...I do recall having read about a couple of cameras that have improved upon this situation, but I believe they were fairly expensive...so, you can improvise, ie use a lantern flashlight (the kind you take camping, that use that large battery) to illuminate your subject, turn up all the lights in your room, etc...the one good thing about being a digicam enthusiast, is that you'll persevere, until you find the scenario that works for you...Blessings for Christmas, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 2:47 AM   #3

Here's a page showing how autofocus works, and why cameras have problem in low lighting situations:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 6:02 AM   #4

I think the oly c4000 takes ptetty good low light with flash pictures,I have no problems with mine.
Chuck
chuck p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 7:17 AM   #5

Johnny is correct that low light pics with digitals tend to be grainy especially in the auto mode. Low light pics in the manual mode will improve the grainy pics. The Olympus C3040, C4040 and the C5050 have a good optics for low light conditions with a F1.8 lens.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 3:28 PM   #6

Default Thanks for info

I appreciate the feedback. I'll try to increase the lighting. And I'll look at the Olympus.
jnuttallphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 6:48 PM   #7

Also, two more things on the oly 5050:
1. focus beam allows correct focus in COMPLETE darkness.
2. take a look at the shots i posted here:
www.pbase.com/geof/5050 the one of the faucet was shot at night, with NO lights in the wc- only ambient off the window (not enough to read a paper under). Thats better that at leqst iso200, and definately 400.
They are getting quite good at this. Now if we could fix this shutter lag thing.......
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 9:01 PM   #8

Most "onboard" flashes are inadequate for serious photography... with dim pix, redeye, etc.

Look for a camera with a hot shoe and get an external flash...
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 11:51 PM   #9

The Olympus C5050 looks great. I would love to have one to play with, but they are slightly expensive. It does fit the ticket and has a hotshoe with TTL flash metering.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote