Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 17, 2005, 9:06 AM   #1

I'm not really a fan of using protection filters at all. However, I plan to get a couple of "L" series lenses soon and their cost has caused me to reconsider my thinking. I was looking at B+W and Heliopan (multi coated only) and came across a "Heliopan Digital Glass Filter". It is more than twice the cost of their UV filter but is it truely an advance? Advice please. Thanks, Craig
--
"No good deed goes unpunished."
csnudelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2005, 10:09 AM   #2

You don't need to spend a lot of money to protect your expensive lens. A UV filter in the $20 range is more than adequate. It will keep the lens clean and protect the front element of the lens from damage if you bump into something solid.

I STRONGLY recommend a UV filter for all cameras and lenses. For point'n'shoot cameras, if they have a filter ring, there is a UV filter available. You might have to hunt a bit to find the odd sizes. My Minolta S414 has a filter size of 37.5mm. I finally found one at www.camerafilters.com but the last time I checked, they seemed to be offline.

If the camera doesn't have a threaded filter ring, there are other type of filters and methods of attaching them.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 10:09 AM   #3

(edit) Darn double post, again!
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 10:42 AM   #4

While, perhaps, I don't need to spend a lot of money for a filter I have no problem (if I decide to use one) paying for a B+W or Heliopan. In fact, considering their lens making process and their use of brass rings I would want one of the fore-mentioned brands. Thanks, but I guess what I wanted to know is there any "real life" advantage to the "digital" filters that justify their added expence? :-)
Old May 19, 2005, 8:44 AM   #5
NHL

csnudelman wrote:
Quote:
... Thanks, but I guess what I wanted to know is there any "real life" advantage to the "digital" filters that justify their added expence? :-)
Yes - technically they have a sharper cut-off:

... but in practice can you see the differences? :idea:
Especially if some cameras already have the same filters in front of their CCD's already (while other don't - which might help theses cameras in 'real life' situation)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 10:01 AM   #6

Thanks, NHL, for the nice answer. I guess I need first to see if my Canon 20D already has such a filter in front of it's sensor.
Old May 19, 2005, 12:29 PM   #7
NHL

FYI - http://www.canon.com/technology/deta...5mm/lo_filter/
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote