Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 17, 2005, 11:09 AM   #1

hi,

As im going to get a optically stabilised imagecamera, is there some review some where that rates the differences in the manufactures image stabilising solutions?

or are they all pretty much the same?

thanks
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2005, 9:40 PM   #2

I know of no comparison, but most work basicaly the same way.

They use gyros to detect the motion, and use motors to move a lens element (maybe more than one? I don't know) to correct it.

I think there is a camera out there that moves the sensor to remove the motion, but I could be way out in left field on that one.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 11:42 PM   #3

It's the Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7D. Steve's Review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_.../maxxum7d.html

Theirs moves the CCD to compensate for movement. All other systems by othermakers have the I.S. feature built into the lenses, not the camera body. The 7D advantage is that having it on the CCD pretty much means any lens you put on the camera, even cheap ones, are an image stabilized lens. The few reports people have been making about this system though, seem to indicate it's not quite as effective as a lens based I.S. feature.

None of them will replace the use of a tripod in certain conditions - they just help to assist in getting a sharp(er) image hand held in the "iffy" conditions where not having I.S. would lead to camera shake.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 5:59 AM   #4

And to add to what atlantagreg said, the Konica Minolta Prosumer (non dslr)cameras, Dimage A1, A2 and A200all have Anti-Shake incorporated in to the body, shifting the ccd. Although limited in the lens department compared to a Dslr, I find it works OK with a teleconverter lens attached as well. A number of other KM cameras also have Anti-Shake technology. The Z3 and Z5, both with 12x optical zoom (35mm/420mm).
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 8:56 AM   #5

thanks for that people.

im really thinking about the new canon s2 or the fz20 panasonic
Old May 18, 2005, 4:07 PM   #6

I think the truth is, they are all quite good at what they do. When I was reasearching a few weeks back I came to the conclusion that any IS is a great help especially with a big zoom, but at the end of the day you still need a tripod in certain conditions.

I'm not sure there is enough difference between any of the systems to really worry about.

Woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 7:00 PM   #7

I'm just wondering how reliable the gyros are. Like how long they'll last for before they fail.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 11:00 PM   #8

I have a Canon Pro90IS that has this technology. It has worked flawlessly for four years...
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 11:10 PM   #9

If a gyro fails in a stabilized lens, you can still take shots as a non-stabilized one (I think). But if a stabilized sensor breaks off the electric connections due to the countless shaking, then you can't take pictures at all, even if you change lenses. There's a certain redundancy in having the stabilization system outside the camera. Everything will fail at some point...
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 8:22 AM   #10

well seems the opnion is "IS is similar in all of the IS makes"

Just seems every review/post i read people say, "oh canon's IS isnt as good as....." or the other way round