Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 27, 2002, 11:00 AM   #1

Default Wal Mart Digital Photo Printing

I am new nere, but wondered if everyone was aware of the ability to go to Wal Mart and to get pictures printed in an hour by simply plugging in their memory into the Fuji Color machines there. You can either print all pics on the memory card or by selecting and then editing the ones you want. Prints are at 4X6, 5X7, or 8X10. They come out on photo paper that is same as the normal film pictures are printed on. 30 cents each for 4X6. Great quality
paflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2002, 3:02 PM   #2

Many of us are probably aware, but it's good to post reminders of good experiences.

In UK, my on-line service offers 6x41/2 for the same price (no cropping!). If your stores are using Fuji Frontiers, you need to put some pressure on them to get the Fuji paper in this size!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 9:12 PM   #3

Default Can load them online too

On a related note, you can also upload your photo's via WalMart's web site, have them processed, and then go pick them up at the store. You don't need to take the card in that way. Similar in concept to Shutterfly or Ofoto, but no waiting for shipping, and cheaper.
dzane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2002, 7:11 AM   #4

You should also check local photo shots as they are printing digicams photos at reasonable prices.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2002, 2:16 PM   #5

:?: I need some help with this topic. I recently purchased a Nikon Coolpix 4300. I have the camera set on "fine" quality and "2272" size. When I transfer them to my computer they are fuzzy. It says they are showing at 22%. When I blow them up to a larger size (which doesn't fit), they become clearer and clearer.
When I upload them to a site like Wal-mart, they are still showing as very fuzzy. Will the printed version come out that way? If not, how do I resize them to have them printed with good quality?
I am obviously very new at this and would appreciate any suggestions.
diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2002, 4:17 PM   #6

When I'm uploading in UK I'm using an ftp option so I can see that my approx 1.2 Mb compressed file, corresponding to 3Mpix JPEG, is actually my original file to be used for printing.

However, to make it quick to browse and select from the web, 'specially from a slow connection, the on-line sites have to show 'down sampled' low res thumbnails and bigger. Strangely, when registered to my site, I can download my own images again at full res., (they set a cookie), but even if I allow public viewing, nobody else can!

I did do some research to confirm that the supplier I am using does print at max 300dpi from the original file without downsampling. I've heard of some lazy labs wanting faster thruput who make their own judgement based on print size, as to what res. they will print.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 12:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego
:?: I need some help with this topic. I recently purchased a Nikon Coolpix 4300. I have the camera set on "fine" quality and "2272" size. When I transfer them to my computer they are fuzzy. It says they are showing at 22%. When I blow them up to a larger size (which doesn't fit), they become clearer and clearer.
When I upload them to a site like Wal-mart, they are still showing as very fuzzy. Will the printed version come out that way? If not, how do I resize them to have them printed with good quality?
I am obviously very new at this and would appreciate any suggestions.

Don't worry. The software used to show them in thumbnail size isn't doing a good job of making thumbnails. They will print just fine.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 8:45 PM   #8

Default Re: Caveat - Wal Mart Digital Photo Printing

Wal-Mart printing is excellent with the new Fuji Frontier lab they are using.

But be careful: Someone mentioned you can upload online and then pick them up at the store.

This is misleading because all prints that are uploaded to Wal-Mart.com are processed in a central location *not* at the store closest to your house.

What this means is you can take your own CD, drive to Wal-Mart and get photos in one day.

But if you upload to their web site, you cannot pick them up in one day.

I also happen to know that none of the stores have high speed internet connections so this is not likely to change soon.

Regards,
Lee
www.photofinale.com
www.trevoli.com
lwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 3:47 PM   #9

Default Re: Caveat - Wal Mart Digital Photo Printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhitney
Wal-Mart printing is excellent with the new Fuji Frontier lab they are using.

But be careful: Someone mentioned you can upload online and then pick them up at the store.

This is misleading because all prints that are uploaded to Wal-Mart.com are processed in a central location *not* at the store closest to your house.

What this means is you can take your own CD, drive to Wal-Mart and get photos in one day.

But if you upload to their web site, you cannot pick them up in one day.

I also happen to know that none of the stores have high speed internet connections so this is not likely to change soon.
By the end of the year, all Wal-Mart photo labs are supposed to be equipped with the Fuji Frontier Digital Mini-Labs
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote