Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 24, 2005, 4:41 PM   #1

I am new to digital photography and am now using Picasa 2 for editing. I am running Windows 98 SE and wondering if PhotoShop Elements 2 would be great to start learnig to do photo editing. Elements 3 I believe will not run on my Window 98.Can't get new computer with XP this year anyway price is quite reasonable on Elements 2 or should I just wait till I get XP?
Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2005, 5:41 PM   #2

Yes it is an awesome learning tool.I used it for over a year and learned everything I know from playing with it.I have since moved on to CS but still go back every now and again.It has almost the same interface and is powerful enough to do just about everything.Enjoy.

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 6:07 PM   #3

Although I am not an expert on PSE2 (not even an advanced amateur!), I can tell you that it is an excellent tool. Anything is better than Picasa or any of the other low grade photo editing programs you get free with scanners, cameras, or at Ritz. However my experience with PSE2 has shown me that it is a very powerful tool but it has a learning curve.

I currently use Paint Shop Pro 9. I started using PSP back with version 4 which was shareware. PSP9 is extremely powerful and compares very favoribly with Photoshop but is about $400 less! As a result of many years experience with PSP, I have become quite experienced with its capabilities. It appears that PSE has most of the same capabilities but the menus and layout is totally different.

For someone who hasn't had much experience with more powerful image editing tools, learning PSE would probably be straight forward. For me it would be more difficult because I have developed my editing skills in PSP.

Good Luck

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 6:59 PM   #4

Carl PSE2 is a tamed version of PS and the learning curve isnt that bad.I hadnt used any editing program before try to use PSE2 for Signatures and I havent looked back in over a year.If you plan on ever using PS then this is the program to start with.Also sometimes there are deals on PS as since I was a registered PSE2 user I got a grerat deal on CS and saved several hundred $$$ on it direct from Adobe.Enjoy.

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 7:06 PM   #5
Administrator

Drone wrote:
Quote:
I am new to digital photography and am now using Picasa 2 for editing. I am running Windows 98 SE and wondering if PhotoShop Elements 2 would be great to start learnig to do photo editing. Elements 3 I believe will not run on my Window 98.Can't get new computer with XP this year anyway price is quite reasonable on Elements 2 or should I just wait till I get XP?
Paint Shop Pro 9 (that Cal Mentioned) will run on Win '98. You'll want to make sure you've got enough RAM, CPU Speed, etc. though:

Paint Shop Pro 9 System Requirements

You can download a fully functional trial version to see if you like it or not.

I'd do the same thing with any competing products you're interested in. Many image editors have downloadable trial versions.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 7:30 PM   #6

I thank everybody for their input. I appreciate it very much...

Chuck
Drone is offline   Reply With Quote