Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 28, 2002, 1:19 PM   #1

Default Replacement for Olympus C-2100

I missed the opportunity to buy Olympus C-2100 this summer and looking for a better/similar one eversince.

What I am looking for is a digital camera with some zoom and most importantly 'stabilizer'.

Are there any 'affordable' digital cameras out there with stabilizer?

Thank you all in advance.
johnoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2002, 2:06 PM   #2

If you're looking for affordable and this type of camera, you should look on eBay for the 2100. Otherwise, if you got money look at the Panasonic DMC-FZ1 which is a 12x optical 2.1mp image stabilized camera with Leica lens which just came out this year.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2002, 3:38 PM   #3

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately there is not much UZI2100's left on ebay available to Canada. Besides, all of them claim that the units are 'refurb'.

The Leica lens panasonic may not even make to NA, I am reading but if the price drops later soon (now it is aroun $1000 cdn), I might even take my chances to order it from Europe.

Thank you again and regards,
johnoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2002, 4:06 PM   #4

Well, I was in the same boat and got myself a C-700 and I'm happy with it, and have taken handheld full digital zooms (35mm equivalent of 1000mm lens) with no need of tripod or IS. You can see them at the C-700 Yahoo group's gallery at http://www.pbase.com/oly_c700/info and look for the steeple pics by Mikefellh (although these were reduced for uploading).

Now there's the C-730, and it wouldn't hurt to look at it (unless you absolutely need the IS and the AutoFocus assist beam).
Old Dec 28, 2002, 10:47 PM   #5

I have a c700 and am not happy at all , I dont know if its me or the camera . I had a d400z and never had problems taking pics until now . They dont have great color and alot are blurry . I use my friends nikon 990 and there is a world of difference , I know there also is a big difference in the zoom .
hdshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2002, 11:27 PM   #6

It could be a lot of things, like your colour problem may be a white balance setting that's off (not on Auto). The blurriness could be too slow a shutter speed, or too tight a zoom without a tripod.

I've used mine for almost 5 months, but I have almost 20 years of experience with a fully manual SLR so I've gotten great shots from the start.
Old Dec 29, 2002, 12:00 AM   #7

Sony has a couple stabilized lens long zoom cameras and the Canon Pro-90 is still around - has 2.6 megapixel resolution and same 10x stabilized lens as C2100UZ....

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2002, 3:10 AM   #8

Mike, I checked out your pics and didn't find any of them to be 'sharp' (the landscapes)..your photos of tree leaves are significantly 'blurry', the same problem I have with the C-4000...however, the buildings are pretty much in focus, and I get really 'sharp' pics of subjects that 'fill the viewfinder'...for landscape shots, I think we need a different camera, as has been suggested by a couple of members..Olympus and tree leaves, just don't 'compute'..blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2002, 10:19 AM   #9

Mike if I shoot pics on auto and no zoom they should come out good , right ?? Im going to try some outdoor pics today and see what happens . I will keep you up to date . thanks
Old Dec 29, 2002, 2:03 PM   #10

took some pics today , where can i post them so you can see ?